Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The deeper you go into a MAZE the harder it is to find your way back out again. Go too far in and well you are never seen again?

The deeper you go into a MAZE the harder it is to find your way back out again. Go too far in and well you are never seen again?

Ever hear of Oxford University Professor Nick Bostrom and his "simulation" argument. Basically the theory is that our "reality" is a computer program created by advanced superintelligent beings.

Professor Bostrom says there are three possibilities

1. All human-like civilizations go extinct before they develop the technology to create simulated realities

2. If they reach this state no one will bother to run simulations

3. Advanced civilizations would have the ability to create MANY MANY MANY simulations which means there are far more simulation worlds than there are non.

So you throw in Occam's Razor (the simplest explanation is usually the right one) or entities should not be multiplied without necessity. Which is the simplest?

There are many things we do not understand. There are many mysteries yet to be understood.

As you can see I got out of that maze just in time and I wonder if I dare to ever go back there again?

Have you gone down that road? What happened to YOU?

Posted - January 28, 2021

Responses