Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "EVACUATION ORDERED AHEAD OF NEW STORM'. Don't that beat all? The entire state of California is advised to shelter in place and now THIS?

"EVACUATION ORDERED AHEAD OF NEW STORM'. Don't that beat all? The entire state of California is advised to shelter in place and now THIS?

These are MANDATORY EVACUATIONS. In the burn ares of the El Dorado and Apple fires that burned in San Bernardion and Riverside counties.  Also homes in the San Gorgonio Pass in Riverside and Yucaipa, Oak Glen and Mountain Home Village in San Bernardino. THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE, people. :(

The fear is that of mud and debris flows having nothing on the ground to stem the flow will just bury whatever lies below. So out of their homes they go. WHERE? Relatives I suppose but does this then exacerbate the spread of the rate of the virus?

Advised to stay at home then ORDERED TO EVACUATE. SIGH. WHAT NEXT?

Posted - January 29, 2021

Responses

Better safe than sorry.  Plant roots help keep soils in place when it rains.  Take away those roots and there's nothing to hold the soggy soil from "flowing".  And, much like a snow avalanche, once it gets flowing, anything in its path will be swept away.

They should set up emergency evacuation centers for these people (much like they did during the fires).  These centers usually have guidelines in place to keep the people using them, safe (distancing, masks, etc.).  Yes, it sucks.  
      January 29, 2021 11:25 AM MST

Oh right. Evacuation centers. I didn't think of that. Per Gilda Radner decades ago...."if it's not one thing it's another". Did you have to evacuate during your terrible fires a few months ago Shuhak? I've never had to evacuate but I can imagine it's very scary plus what do you take with you? How long do you have to be away? What's happening where you evacuated from? I've seen it on TV in reality and it's not pretty. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      January 30, 2021 12:58 AM MST

I was under an advisory evacuation, so I stayed.  My sister was under a mandatory evacuation order.  
    You stay away until the evacuation order is lifted.
    What's happening while you're gone.... well, that's the $64,000 question. Unless someone tells you, you don't know.
    With my sister, the mandatory evacuation line was one block away (from there south it was an advisory order).  There weren't nearly enough personal to "man" all the evacuation lines, so some of her neighbors came back.
      January 30, 2021 11:08 AM MST

Thank you for the info Shuhak. Hopefully you never again have to have even an "advisory" and your sis doesn't need another mandatory. Thinks it's just going to keep happening every year? The fires? How many possible potential TERRIBLES are there to worry about? I've lost count! ")
      January 30, 2021 11:26 AM MST

Thinking of you, hoping the effects will not be as severe as feared possible.

Though you've lost so many trees in the fires, there may be enough of the roots still in place to give at least some stability to the slopes. 

January 29, 2021 2:49 PM MST

We live in as safe an area as can be Durdle. It's flat terrain. There are no rivers near us. We are surrounded by mountains but they are far away. There is relatively little brush or bushes around us so fires are not a problem. I haven't checked yet to see what damage may have occurred in southern California but I will. Have you ever had to evacuate where you were? I think that would be mighty scary. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 30, 2021 1:01 AM MST

I'm glad you are in s safe area.

No -  I've never had to evacuate my home. I have never lived close to brush or forests, or in locations at risk from land-slips or floods.  
      January 30, 2021 3:36 PM MST

Likewise. I wonder though how far down the road we shall have to go before we see a happy ending? I hope there will be a happy ending, all things considered. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      January 31, 2021 3:33 AM MST