Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » SUPREME Mary Wilson passed away at the age of 76. THE SUPREMES had a very good run in the long ago. Do you remember them?

SUPREME Mary Wilson passed away at the age of 76. THE SUPREMES had a very good run in the long ago. Do you remember them?

Posted - February 9, 2021

Responses

Yes, I do remember them.  Is it me or does it seem as though there are an awful lot of celebrities dying in a short period of time?
      February 9, 2021 9:55 AM MST

It's not you honey. They may not all be due directly to COVID but I think being cooped up and under restrictions for over a year as we have been with more to come cannot be the healthiest lifestyle. So while they are dying from the virus they may be dying because of the adverse affects of it indirectly. Thank you for our reply L and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 10, 2021 2:11 AM MST

Indeed I do. I grew up with Motown.
      February 9, 2021 12:58 PM MST

Diana Ross ...the Supremes. Gosh E that was such a long time ago. Life was way simpler then or so I thought. Wasn't it? The Temptations had a really smooth sound too. SIGH. Gone but not forgotten. Thank you for your reply! Toledo is pretty darn close to Motown! We left Michigan when I was 3 long before Berry Gordy was born. 1940 to be exact. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 10, 2021 1:46 AM MST

Oh, I remember them well.

It's a shame the way the group's career went, but I know Mary Wilson had a long and active career as a solo singer.

To answer SpunkySenior -

No, there is nothing unexpected about so many celebrities coming to the ends of their lives in an apparently short time.

This question was investigated a couple of years ago by the statistics-magazine programme More Or Less on BBC Radio Four. They found the death rate among entertainers is not so different from any other part of society; but the coming of television then pop music meant a sizeable increase in the number of people becoming famous in their teens and 20s, in a relatively short time, in the 1950s - 60s. So there is now a lot of famous people in their 70s and older, and because their deaths are reported so they seem to be more prone to passing away than mere mortals of similar age.  

February 10, 2021 2:36 PM MST

:):):) Of course the deaths of celebrities are always covered. The deaths of regular folks whose names we don't know? Not so much although our orbits are massive now compared to what they used to be in the Press Enterprise. Due to the virus of course. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 11, 2021 2:51 AM MST
      February 11, 2021 2:50 AM MST