Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Who do you think you're talking to? Do you know who I am?" Big shot hotshots use that line all the time. Do you buy into it or mock it?

"Who do you think you're talking to? Do you know who I am?" Big shot hotshots use that line all the time. Do you buy into it or mock it?

Posted - February 13, 2021

Responses

I don't buy into it.  I don't think anyone has said that to me, but if they did, I'm pretty sure my answer would be something like, "No, I don't know who I'm talking to.  Should I?"

. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 14, 2021 2:18 AM MST
      February 13, 2021 1:34 PM MST

I've just seen it on TV. I cannot remember anyone ever saying it to me. I think if someone did I'd say "No. Who ARE YOU?" or "No. Why should I?" Thank you fof your reply L! :)
      February 14, 2021 2:21 AM MST

Mock it.   Their overinflated ego means nothing to me.  

"Wait, don't tell me.... you're.. um...Sam?, no, Bubba?, no... Oh, I know..Dick!"

"You mean you don't know?  Have you checked for ID in your wallet?"

February 13, 2021 1:44 PM MST

I guess I don't run in the right circles. No one has ever said it to me but I've seen it on TV. i just think it is another one of the ridiculous things stupid dumbs say. This may be before your time. Does the name "Leona Helmsley" ring a bell. She was a very obnoxious wealthy woman who referred to regular folks as "the little people". Supercilious arrogant full of herself. Is it wealth that does it? Are the poor ever full of themselves? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      February 14, 2021 2:24 AM MST

Back when I first started out in the grocery business, we had a district manager once who was full of himself.  He enjoyed going around and making life miserable for all the managers and employees in his district.  He would mandate changes (even ones that went against company policy) just to watch people jump.  He even set impossible goals and demanded they be reached or he'd "punish".  We're talking a-hole supreme here, and NO ONE liked him. 
    One time I was manning the customer service center while mr big shot was locked inside the office yacking away on the phone.  Now the office wasn't very big.. I'd say roughly 10' wide and 20' long empty (an it was not empty).  The door opened just shy of a large safe.  Nesteled in the cubbuhole between the safe and the back wall was the manager's desk.   A 4' deep table ran along the length of the opposite wall.  There were 2 phones mounted on the wall of the office - one on the back wall by the managers desk (with a very long cord), and one on the right wall next to the door.  With 2 large office chairs inside, it was quite cozy.
    Well, something came up where I needed to get something off the manager's desk in the office.  So I unlocked the door and crept in.   Mr big shot was reclined (in the "good" office chair) with his head under the door phone and his feet up on the table yaking away on the phone.   As I was getting what I needed, the phone rang.  Naturally, I pushed the button the call was on went to pick up the receiver (simultaneously) ... only there was no receiver.  Instantly the room went dead quiet.  (this all happening in mere seconds).  Mr big shot had been using the "manager's" phone, not the one closest to him.  By pushing the button, I had hung up his call (and disconnected the incoming call).  Oops.  Mr big shot was livid.  Glaring at me, he got up and slammed the phone down on the receiver.  He then picked up the other phone and called his party back.  When they answered, he angrily exclaimed (in a way that I was sure to hear) that some dumb employee had cut him off and he may have to fire them.  (It was an idle threat, for at that time I was union and he really couldn't do a thing.)  As he resumed his reclining position, I slunk out the door.  Everyone laughed about that incident for months.
      February 14, 2021 10:44 AM MST