Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you find non-fiction science books interesting to read?

Do you find non-fiction science books interesting to read?

I'm reading one called "Supersymmetry", by Gordon Kane. It's so easy to understand, if you don't like all the number texts. These are all words. 

Posted - October 21, 2016

Responses

You mean like the stuff I have been forced to study for the last year?   Oh yeah.   I guess.   I just hate being tested on what I have remembered of it.
      October 21, 2016 12:35 PM MDT

Read just for fun. Not to be tested on. 
      October 21, 2016 1:22 PM MDT

As a non-scientist, I'm fascinated by books on science by talented writers (not textbooks). Timothy Ferris is a non-scientist writer and among the best. Years ago, The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra was a huge best seller and is still a worthwhile read.
      October 21, 2016 12:54 PM MDT

• Of course!
      October 21, 2016 1:03 PM MDT

Are you kidding?...I received as a gift when I was eight a set of the "All About" science books. I was hooked.
      October 21, 2016 1:59 PM MDT

• Yes, I love reading about serial killers. The one that has disturbed me the most was the book about Albert Fish. 
      October 21, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

Is a bear Catholic?

Does the Pope go pookie in the woods?

October 21, 2016 7:05 PM MDT

• I like the science books published by, "For Dummies".  They give general overviews from which an reader can pursue in more depth areas of interest in more specific books.
      October 21, 2016 7:31 PM MDT

• I read a lot of non-fiction, though I'll admit science isn't usually my topic. I have read a few books on mathematics, though, and I found them interesting.
      October 21, 2016 10:16 PM MDT

• Which ones Nevan?
      October 22, 2016 1:17 AM MDT

• One was called "The Music of the Primes" and described the prime number theorem and Riemann sums. Another was about mathematics in daily life, yet I cannot remember the title at the moment...
      October 22, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

• That's alright Nevan! 
    I have.always found prime numbers particularly interesting.....if I'm not wrong they are the basis of one of the unsolved problems, Golbach something or other.  I'm going to look into the book you mention. Thanks Nevan.
      October 22, 2016 2:17 PM MDT

It's not so impressive that you've read them, but it's very impressive that you find them interesting.  :)
      October 22, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

• Good point , T.
      October 22, 2016 2:18 PM MDT

Yes, sometimes.....particularly behavioral science.  I've read Carl Jung in the past and looked for one of those books yesterday and could not find it.    I have a ton of psychology/sociology/counseling books.  I love that stuff.  Right now I have two going: Rethinking Madness and I Wasn't Ready to  Say Goodbye.  I've had these two going for a long time now.  I need to finish them and get them off my night stand.  I keep getting distracted.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 22, 2016 2:06 PM MDT
      October 22, 2016 1:58 PM MDT

• Had a Black's Children's Encyclopoedia as a child which was one of my favourite refuges from life and helped form my love of reading.
    I've enjoyed "A Brief History of Time," by Steven Hawkings, "The Selfish Gene," by Richard Dawkins, "The Weathermakers," by Tim Flannery and many others.
    There's so much out there now that I barely scrape the surface of it, cannot keep up, especially since my focus shifted to fiction.
    I also like some of the more way-out speculative essays by writers like Carl Sagan.
      October 22, 2016 9:44 PM MDT