Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Remember back in the day some movies ended with "And they lived happily ever after"? Seen that lately? Is Happily Ever After extinct?

Remember back in the day some movies ended with "And they lived happily ever after"? Seen that lately? Is Happily Ever After extinct?

What is the most likely cause of extinction? Survival of the fittest still applies. Is happy not fit to survive? What is and why?

Posted - March 2, 2021

Responses

There is no happily ever after.  Someone was offended by it (there were protests).   - humor.

The reason "happily ever after" is gone is because people have the wrong concept of it.  They have a fairy tail vision of it -

Happily ever after means no more problems.
    Happily ever after means no more disagreements.
    Happily ever after means no more disappointments.
    Happily ever after means all is bliss and joy forever and ever.

If happily ever after was really like that, people would quickly grow to hate it!

Problems provide us an opportunity to learn.
    Disagreements provide us an opportunity for us to look beyond ourselves.
    Disappointments provide us an opportunity to learn how to sympathize with others.  
    Joy and bliss are what we make them.  They are not the same for everyone.

This is the real happily ever after.  

Yet, so often people see it this way ...

Problems are someone else's fault!  Blame them!!
    Disagreements man you refuse to see things MY way! the ONLY way!
    Disappointments mean suck it up and don't be a wuss.
    Joy and bliss are just fantasy.

March 2, 2021 1:22 PM MST

That is one view of course. Those who say if there were no sadness we wouldn't appreciate being happy. That we need to experience all of it to appreciate any of it.

Then there are those who think if people could just be KIND many problems would disappear. If people could just show gratitude and appreciation for what they have and not always want more more more more then they would be could be content. If.

Being bored with always being happy? I dunno. I'd like to try it on for size and see how it fits. Than you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 2, 2021 1:31 PM MST

Short answer. (I don't like to get philosophical.) I have never seen or heard a movie with that ending.
      March 2, 2021 1:49 PM MST

How old are you E? Long ago and far away at the movies the lighthearted ones would sometimes end with that exact tag line. The movie was always upbeat. The stars might face a bit of adversity but it always worked out and you KNEW they'd be OK. If I see one on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) I shall remember the name and let you know. I did not make it up. I don't make up anything. But of course if you have NEVER experienced something you are more loathe to believe it exists. I get that. Thank you for your reply.
      March 4, 2021 5:40 AM MST

I am 69.
      March 4, 2021 8:03 AM MST

Okay. I'm 83 so that covers a lot more ground and I've experienced things cuz I've been around longer. By the time you're 83 you will be where I am now and mebbe I'll still be here as well. If so hope our country is better. Right now it's looking as if it is on life support and I can almost hear the death rattles. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      March 4, 2021 9:18 AM MST

Highly unlikely I will reach that age.

March 4, 2021 10:33 AM MST

If that's you anyone ever tell you that you look like Robert de Niro? Do you smoke now? If so you aren't as smart as I have given you credit for. I'm just sayin'. Thank you for your reply. If this isn't you then whom do I have the pleasure of viewing and why?
      March 9, 2021 5:16 AM MST

He is just a random bloke I found at Google Images. I am much better looking.
      March 9, 2021 6:51 AM MST