Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why do I share so much personal stuff with you? Maybe you are going through it too and can give me some guidance. Example?

Why do I share so much personal stuff with you? Maybe you are going through it too and can give me some guidance. Example?

ADVANCE HEALTH CARE DIRECTIVE

It pertains to those of us "of a certain age". Well I'm well beyond that "certain age" and I still haven't done it. We have two of course...one for each of us. It sits there waiting for me/us. I think "I'll get around to it" but deep down I believe I have NO INTENTION of ever filling it out.

What I don't know is why.

Usually always before when I was tasked with something to do I DID IT ahead of time. I don't miss deadlines. I arrive early never late.

Maybe I'm afraid to do it. If it's left undone there will not be an immediate need for it? Of course I know it should be done and well we're the only ones who can do it. Yet.....

Have you filled yours out?

Kaiser keeps reminding us that it is something we have not yet done. A gentle reminder that's relentless. As if I need a reminder. I never do. I always know what I SHOULD do or SHOULD HAVE DONE that I didn't. My conscience guilts me when I don't. SIGH.

Posted - March 8, 2021

Responses

What is "Advance Healthcare Directives'?
      March 8, 2021 6:30 AM MST

You don't know? Maybe it is unique to Kaiser then.

It is a booklet you fill in saying how you want to die. Do they pull the plug if you are brain dead? Do they keep you alive by any means possible? Do they do transplants of organs to save your life? What extraordinary methods do you want to do to save you or let you die? It is very detailed with multiple pages. I thought it was a standard thing but since you have no idea then I was wrong. So you can't help me. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 8, 2021 6:39 AM MST
      March 8, 2021 6:35 AM MST

That is called a living will here.
      March 8, 2021 6:38 AM MST

Does that require LAWYERS?. It says how you want your assets disposed of. This has zero to do with assets. It has to do with life and death. Thank you for your reply.
      March 8, 2021 6:41 AM MST

I looked up LIVING WILL. Thanks. So do you have one or not?
      March 8, 2021 6:56 AM MST

No I do not. I suppose I should, but I am too lazy.
      March 8, 2021 7:01 AM MST

But you have no one "reminding" you. We do. I think you are 14 years younger than I am so you have time. Maybe when you hit 80 "they" will start up wieth you? Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at March 8, 2021 9:18 AM MST
      March 8, 2021 7:07 AM MST

They ask me every time I have a procedure that involves some sort of anesthesia. This post was edited by Element 99 at March 8, 2021 10:00 AM MST
      March 8, 2021 9:19 AM MST

How often is that? The last time I had anesthia was for a colonoscopy years ago. So what do you tell them? Too rude a question? Too personal? Apologies. Thank you for your reply E.
      March 8, 2021 9:56 AM MST

They are required to ask us. I take no offense and just say no. They are not allowed to give advice unless asked. The last time was for a biopsy in my humerus. A mild sedative and anasthesia . This post was edited by Element 99 at March 8, 2021 10:01 AM MST
      March 8, 2021 9:59 AM MST