Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You're all set to go skiing and check out the site and find the following. Do you respect it and follow it or ignore it and go anyway?

You're all set to go skiing and check out the site and find the following. Do you respect it and follow it or ignore it and go anyway?

The mountain community of Big Bear, California is a southern California skiing destination.

To check out the conditions I Googled Big Bear and read the following...

A request from the Big Bear community to POSTPONE any visits until COVID 19 is behind us.

A reminder that having strangers come there will jeopardize the people living there whose home it is.

There is no law yet that forbids it. You can go and ski and do your thing totally ignoring the polite request of the folks who live there.

How selfish are you? What is true of Big Bear is true of all skiing destinations for the people who live there. Invading their home to pleasure yourself for a few hours? Seriously. You would do that?

Posted - March 18, 2021

Responses

I would do ask they ask and not ski there.  If we are to ever defeat this Corona virus, it will take all of us working together to at lease contain it.  It isn't that big a sacrifice to wear a mask when outside, stay way from people and wash your hands.  
      March 18, 2021 1:39 PM MDT

That's exactly what we did. We did not go. I Googled Big Bear to find out when the lifts opened and what the road conditions were and I found that and had Jim read it so of course we didn't go. I am very glad I didn't discover that AFTER the fact. I didn't ever really think of that actually. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Friday to you m'dear. :). This post was edited by RosieG at March 19, 2021 10:33 AM MDT
      March 19, 2021 2:49 AM MDT

One would think avalanches are more of an issue for skiers than COVID right now.
      March 18, 2021 8:36 PM MDT

The issue is not about the skiers who visit for a day of frolicsome fun. The issue is about the people who live there. So you would go then? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine. This post was edited by RosieG at March 19, 2021 9:00 AM MDT
      March 19, 2021 2:50 AM MDT

I went skiing once with a group of scouts. It was fun, but I got frostbite on two toes. I never went again.
      March 19, 2021 9:01 AM MDT

For me it was twice. The first time with a church group and my cousin. I grabbed onto the rope tow ungloved and did not realize one ankle wasn't turned facing uphill. I hurt my hands and twisted my ankle. I think I was about 14. FAST FORWARD ten years. I work at an Architectural firm. One of the employees is Austrian and a skier. He invites me to join him on a ski trip to Mammoth. I accept. On the slope I fall down. He won't let me get up unless I swing my feet to one side and pull myself up using a pole. I can't. I undo my skis, walk to the building and have a hot cocoa. He humiliated me. We never dated again. I figger with my luck a third time would kill me. There never was or will be a third time. Thank you for your reply E. Jim is the skier in the family not me! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 19, 2021 10:25 AM MDT
      March 19, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

Yes - I'd accept the request, and not just because I'd be a foreign tourist (though I could not be that more or less anywhere, anyway, of course).

We'd similar situations in Britain even in the easier times between lock-downs. We did not want lots of visitors in touristy areas like mine; and most of us recognised we should avoid being visitors elsewhere ourselves. 
      March 21, 2021 5:04 PM MDT