Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Scientists say they found the cause of rare blood clotting linked to Astra Zeneca Vaccine. Cause and effect. CAUSAL LINK?

"Scientists say they found the cause of rare blood clotting linked to Astra Zeneca Vaccine. Cause and effect. CAUSAL LINK?

30 recipients of the Astra Zeneca vaccine were diagnosed with cerebral venus sinus thrombosis. The vaccine triggers an autoimmunine reaction causing blood clots in the brain.

Cause and effect. CAUSAL LINK. DISCOVERED.

Still the incidence of it is considered minimal so the halt that was put in place on the use of Astra Zeneca was released and it has been approved for use.

So would YOU chance it when other vaccines have no such side effect as that? WHY WOULD YOU when you have other choices?

Posted - March 20, 2021

Responses

Personally, I would not.  I was even hoping that I wouldn't get the Pfizer shots and I didn't.  The Walgreen's in my neighborhood had the Moderna.  

I know that there are always some people who will have a severely adverse reaction to any drug and that is in the trial phase, but when the adverse reactions are overwhelmingly insignificant (and I don't mean to minimize those reactions) in numbers and the greater good will be served, the drug comes on the market.  Sometimes, it takes decades to find that a drug should be removed from the market.  If drugs are to do any good at all, especially in critical illnesses, they can't be tested for 20 years before they're available.  I know that sounds terrible, but it's a fact.  How many more people would have died from that illness if it took that long to get approval?
      March 21, 2021 8:18 AM MDT

All of what you say is true. It usually takes many years before a drug comes to market. 5-10 years is not unusual. Even then some adverse affects might appear. Any time you ingest inhale or get injected you take a risk. Every operation no matter how simple carries risk with it. You certainly can choose what risks you are willing to take and which risks you aren't. Why would any vaccine take two doses? How many other vaccines have been so fragile they required holding at very low temperatures?  I just "feel" that doing what we are doing right now is wise FOR US. We do exactly as the guidelines have asked us to do from the very beginning. NO EXCEPTIONS. We are doing just fine doing what we are doing and will continue to do so. I know it's a risk. But so too is getting the injection. I prefer the simple less volatile/dramatic  drama queen vaccine. One shot and you're out. Sure there's a risk to that too. But it's one I'm more willing to take. Thank you for your reply m'dear! I'm sure everything will work out just fine! :)
      March 22, 2021 5:55 AM MDT

I agree that it's up to you to decide what is best for yourselves.  Vaccines work in different ways.  I can't think of which ones, but I'm sure there were others that required more than one shot or at least a booster shot later on.  The Pfizer vaccine no longer needs to be kept at such a very low temperature.  These vaccines are so new that we are still learning about them and what the results are.  If we were testing on a more expansive level, we might have more information about them, but that isn't happening.  
      March 22, 2021 10:14 AM MDT

I'll let you know when I know what we're going to do. Jim and I are on the same page on this...thank goodness. Sometimes our opinions differ. I'm sure glad on this it doesn't! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 22, 2021 2:48 PM MDT

The instances of cases were about 1 : 1000 000; and we can't say that the vaccine was the cause in all.

Every vaccine and medicine has some side-effects, ranging from fairly common, mild, short term reactions to serious problems needing medical treatment.

The problem in this case is that several governments handled it so badly on top of already blundering over lock-downs and vaccine supplies, that it's exaggerating the fears or those genuinely frightened of vaccines, and encouraging the wilful anti-vaccine types.  

I have had my first vaccination, with the Oxford/ Astra-Zeneca vaccine; had only a minor, temporary reaction, and have no qualms about a second dose of it.

Let's put it in perspective. I am in my late-60s so with a higher risk of Covid being very dangerous to me; but frankly, with a 40-mile drive to the vaccination centre, I am at far greater risk of a fatal road accident on the journey than of serious reactions to the inoculation.
      March 21, 2021 4:22 PM MDT

I am 83 and Jim is 85 and we have not yet had the vaccine. Some countries put a hold on the use of Astra Zeneca. I  don't think it has been approved for use in the US yet. I AM afraid of the two-shot. What kind of cockamamie inoculation REQUIRES TWO SHOTS? No one KNOWS IN ADVANCE if the second dose will be fatal as has occurred in a few. Why it didn't occur in the first dose is puzzling. I don't know if whatever the trigger is resides within me. If people KNEW in advance they would not have subjected themselves to it. But they did not know. The Johnson and Johnson is a one-shot. You don't have to keep it at below zero temperatures. It  isn't as temperamental or delicate. It also isn't quite as effective but it will prevent us from dying or being hospitalized. That's good enough for me. I'm checking around to see if and when we will have received enough. I know we can't CHOOSE the vaccines. But as we get more of the Johnson and Johnson in our country and as more people are vaccinated with the two-shots it is more likely that we will have access to it. Meanwhile we double mask face shield glove social distance and are very devoted to following the guidelines which we have since their inception. We aren't hotblooded youngsters who sex it with strangers as they are doing during Easter break at beaches everywhere every chance they get. We aren't braindead Republicans who take being cautious as a weakness and shows disloyalty to the CRACKPOT DIMWIT they all adore who terrifies them. We're holding our own and doing fine and I believe will continue to do so if and only if we continue to do what have always done. Different strokes Durdle. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      March 22, 2021 3:05 AM MDT

As I understand it, with the two-dose vaccines, the first builds the basic immunity and the second re-inforces it. 

There is nothing new in this. It was always the case with, I think, Tetanus, though there the two does are some years rather than some weeks apart.

As a matter of risk, which I think is what you mean; the risk of a fatal attack of Covid is considerably greater if you have not been vaccinated, even allowing for no vaccine for any illness being 100% effective for 100% of the population inoculated.   
      March 23, 2021 6:14 PM MDT