Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever visit a WET MARKET? Ever purchase anything that was alive they killed for you to buy and take home? How could you?

Ever visit a WET MARKET? Ever purchase anything that was alive they killed for you to buy and take home? How could you?

Posted - March 29, 2021

Responses

No. The closest I have come to that was picking out my lobster at a restaurant.
      March 29, 2021 7:20 AM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Geez that hit my funny bone. But I read about those Asian Wet markets and that's why we get so much disease from there is because of the way they handle animals that may be diseased. I cannot even imagine standing there, picking out a chicken and watch it be butchered then take it home and cook and eat it. I mean I eat chicken so who am I kidding? Anyway I think that should be illegal. Another sad thing that goes on all the time! :(
      March 29, 2021 7:26 AM MDT

I think they should have better hygiene rules.  But other than that I see not difference in that and eating any other meat.
    I have also eaten our own chickens. It was funny the last time we cooked some. My daughter said, "I really did not want to like it. But that was the best chicken I ever ate." 

We don't have any now...a raccoon broke in the hen house. :(  
      March 30, 2021 4:53 AM MDT

When I was a little girl we had a huge backyard. We had a vegetable garden AND we had chickens fenced off away from the rest of the yard. I remember my grandad going out back and doing whatever needed to be done to have chicken for dinner. My grandparents lived a couple of blocks away. I'm not sure if my dad ever did it. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't. But we never saw anything bad. All of "it" was done outside and so we were protected from it. Now of course if I'd grown up on a farm my whole outlook would be different probably. Thank you for your reply m2c! :)
      March 30, 2021 6:35 AM MDT

Have you ever been to a fish market?
      March 29, 2021 1:09 PM MDT

No. The markets I've gone to have cases filled with already prepared meats fish whatever. I saw a famous market in Seattle...Pike's place or something...where they toss whole fish around as if it were a sport. I'd like to visit there if it still exists. A wondrous place or so it seemed to be to me. So what do they do at a fish market? Kill live fish, filet and sell? I do know there are lobster tanks and you buy lobsters that are alive. I was married to a guy born in Lexington, Mass and we had a lobster dinner once for some relatives. He bought the live lobsters and cooked them. He tipped them so their heads would be down. He said that put them to sleep so when they hit the boiling water they don't feel a thing. But elsewise otherwise any fish I ever bought was ready to cook! Does Toledo have specialty markets devoted to one thing only? Seafood for instance? Thank you for your question. Did I answer it?
      March 30, 2021 3:11 AM MDT

We have two seafood markets. One is in the city and the other a mile over the MI border.
      March 30, 2021 1:10 PM MDT

My favorite seafood hands down is ABALONE and I haven't had it for many decades. It is/was the most incredibly delicious thing I've ever eaten seafoodwise. Ever taste it? Thank you for your reply E! Do you have a favorite seafood?
      April 1, 2021 3:42 AM MDT

I've never eaten it, nor have I ever seen it for sale.
      April 1, 2021 7:53 AM MDT

The last time I saw it for sale anywhere in a market where I could buy it? I was in my 40's! What happened I don't know. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      April 1, 2021 8:12 AM MDT

I have never bought anything at a wet market nor would I.  When I order fish at a restaurant, I always have it fileted and the head removed.
      March 29, 2021 3:31 PM MDT

Only once did I eat at a restaurant where the WHOLE FISH was served. It was a bit offputting to be honest with you. It was either Chinese or Japanese cuisine. As I recall it was quite delicious but it's not something that I'd do again. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 30, 2021 3:13 AM MDT

I don't recall the first time I ate in a restaurant where the head was still on.  It was very disconcerting having that thing looking back at me while I was eating and I had to ask the waiter to take it back and behead it.
      March 30, 2021 6:45 AM MDT

I remember that one time with those eyes staring up. Once was enough! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      March 30, 2021 7:24 AM MDT