Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Folks with flip-phones seem to always refer to them as 'My OLD flip-phone'. You know one can still buy new ones?

Folks with flip-phones seem to always refer to them as 'My OLD flip-phone'. You know one can still buy new ones?

Posted - April 3, 2021

Responses

I do realize that, but my old flip phone is really old - I think I bought 15+ years ago when my StarTac phone gave up.  I have replaced the battery in my new old phone twice, but I suspect that I will have to come into the 21st Century before too long because too many things require a QR code and my current phone does not have that capability.  
      April 3, 2021 9:05 AM MDT

Mine is about 7 years old, but I am 69, so it is still a whippersnapper. Odd that I can change the battery in about 10 seconds, but my wife's smart-phone battery has to be replaced in the shop.
      April 3, 2021 9:12 AM MDT

The new phones are obsolete the moment the next iteration of them comes out.  I doubt any of the new ones will last as long as mine has.  Then again, I have a number of old appliances that will outlast most all of the newer models.  Who expects a flat screen TV purchased today to still work after more than 35 years?  And my toaster is 51 years old as is my shopping cart, albeit there's a cotter pin holding one of its wheels on. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 3, 2021 3:37 PM MDT
      April 3, 2021 10:27 AM MDT

My step-daughter is a manager at an appliance store and is quite knowledgeable about appliances. She said they are built to last no more than five years. We had a flat screen that died one day after the warranty expired. My ex has a refrigerator that is almost 70 and she still uses it.
      April 3, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

My fridge is about 20 years old.  I bought a new one when I remodeled my kitchen.  The old one was not energy efficient, so it made sense.  I don't doubt for a moment that the life span of a flat screen is 5 years.  How else could they get you to buy new appliances?
      April 3, 2021 3:44 PM MDT

Exactly.
      April 3, 2021 3:51 PM MDT

I would be lost, literally, without my smart phone. GPS and near-constant access to Google Maps has changed my life. 

The other truly incredible thing about newer smart phones is their cameras. Amazing capabilities. 

I did like my flip phone, though. 
      April 3, 2021 9:33 AM MDT

My brain has an internal GPS. I can get lost any time I want. What did you do before GPS?
      April 3, 2021 9:37 AM MDT

You're lucky. My sister is like that and I'm so envious! My internal GPS is defective, big time. 

I would study maps in advance and write down directions, pay close attention to every single sign.  And get lost... a lot. I also just didn't explore like I do now. It's been freeing. 
      April 3, 2021 9:45 AM MDT

I carried a flip phone to work in my lunchbox for many years...in case of an emergency.  I used it maybe twice.  I still have it and it gets lots of spam calls.  (I don't even know its phone number, so of course I never gave it out; therefore they can't be "real" calls).
      April 3, 2021 2:03 PM MDT

Indeed and it's time if you have Verizon or service that works on the Verizon network.  They will not support 3g devices after 12-31-21.  There are 4G flip phones but they are smart phones even though they mostly work like the 3g ones.  The biggest problem I'm finding in my research is that I haven't found one where I can completely turn off the GPS.  That is a deal breaker.  The only phone I have found is a Tracfone phone and you have to have Tracfone service for a year before you can us it with any other provider.  There is a little Nokia bar phone that isn't too bad too.  But, Nokia is not really Nokia.  A crap company has bought the right to use the Nokia name (it seems). The struggle is real and the search continues.  I will never carry around a big block of a smartphone.  Just holding one makes people look goofy to me.  I think ATT's drop dead date is February 2022. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 8, 2021 8:04 PM MDT
      April 3, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

Mine's a 3G-rated but basic DORO flip-'phone only about 3 years old.

My first portable 'phone, a Motorola, lasted a good 12 years at least, probably nearer 15. It was on its second battery (a bundle of 4 AAA-cells) when it finally expired; and then only because water had penetrated and ruined the liquid-crystal display.

I had an LG2017 "smart-'phone, in, well, 2017, but abandoned it in favour of the DORO only a few months later. Don't want another so-called "smart"'-phone. I operated very complex electronic analysers and the like at work - I don't need similar complexity just to make a phone call. Actually the analysers were easier than " smart-'phones" and ... they came with instruction-manuals!

The News this evening though reported that LG is going to stop manufacturing telephones and concentrate on other parts of its business. 
      April 5, 2021 4:36 PM MDT