Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is MAGIC evil? Christianity depends upon certain magical things which the believer believes. Is religious magic okay but the rest of it not?

Is MAGIC evil? Christianity depends upon certain magical things which the believer believes. Is religious magic okay but the rest of it not?

Posted - April 15, 2021

Responses

Oh, boy.  That's a can of worms.

Even Christians don't believe all "religious magic" is okay.
    If it belongs to another religion, it is "bad".
    IE: Voodoo or Wiccan or Santerian magic is "bad", according to Christian teachings.
    Aghori is "bad" according to Hindu.  (just heard about that one)

Of course, most people who believe some form of "religious magic" is bad ... have no problem with "entertainment magic".
    Though there are some religious people who believe it is a gateway to bad magic.
    Sort of like cigarettes or alcohol are gateways to more addictive/illegal drugs.

April 15, 2021 8:21 AM MDT

How about VIRGIN BIRTH? I know. How dare I bring that up? Well I dare a lot all the time and that one is a biggie. I believe in miracles and believe I've experienced a couple because I should be dead and I'm still here. But maybe they weren't miraculous at all. Miracles are always good though right? Who has ever heard of a "bad" miracle? Of course I shall ask. Thanks Walt! :)
      April 15, 2021 8:44 AM MDT

There have been documented "virgin births", outside the Biblical story of Jesus.
    There are other ways of "messing around" that can introduce the sperm to the egg, that leaves the hymen intact.
      April 15, 2021 11:55 AM MDT

SAY WHAT? Really? "documented"? Well once again I did not know that. So the hymen is vincible then? It doesn't do a 100% effective job of blocking sperm? No magic anything. Just plain "natural causes"? Huh. Thank you for your informative reply Walt. I thought folks got married to have sex whenever they wanted it? Another myth busted! Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 16, 2021 5:03 AM MDT

Christianity does NOT depend on or even use "magical" things.  The bible states that all sorcery is from satan and to stay away from it.  
      April 16, 2021 12:19 PM MDT

"Miracles" are "magic" under a different name.

Exorcism = banishment spell

Transmutation magic = changing water to wine

Summoning magic = the story of the loaves and fishes

Resurrection magic = Lazarus and Jesus rising from the dead
      April 20, 2021 8:57 AM MDT

Actually, that's not true.  They may seem similar, but they aren't. 

Magic involves secrecy and mystery.  From the stage magician who distracts the audiences eyes away form what he’s really doing, to the sorcerer who uses cryptic chants that the listener can’t understand.   Magic is all about the hidden.  It relies (claims to rely) on forces from other worlds or dimensions.

Miracles, on the other hand, reveal.  No sleight of hand.  No mysterious forces.

The goal of magic is to glorify a person.  The goal of a miracle is to glorify God.

April 20, 2021 6:24 PM MDT

The majority of people I know who believe in magic, claim it comes from "lay lines" on the Earth or crystals or pyramids or nature.
    Nor do they attempt to hide it.  On the contrary, there are tons of books out there alleging to teach people how to do magic.  (And I don't refer to stage magic.)

If you are familiar with most RPGs, you will recognize the concept of multiple sources of magic.
    Divine Magic = power from some deity or pantheon of deities.
    Arcane Magic = power from the individual, lay lines, crystals, etc.
    Fiendish Magic = power from demons, pacts with devils, etc.
    Nature Magic = power from nature and life itself.

To claim the church doesn't engage in "secrecy and mystery" is to ignore centuries of church history.
    IE: Keeping their own language, which the common folk don't understand (Latin).
    IE: Rituals that can only be performed by church leaders.
    IE: Requiring special training/education to "interpret" the Bible.

April 21, 2021 7:18 AM MDT