Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » After the GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY verdict came down some folks were interviewed including a white man. Know what he said?

After the GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY verdict came down some folks were interviewed including a white man. Know what he said?

What he said resonated with me more than I can explain. It shook me.

He said he was very happy that the right verdict occurred. THIS TIME. But during all of this goings on he realized he had a lot of work to do on himself. He had not realized nor was he particularly interested in the plight of blacks. He was just detached from it because it wasn't his problem.

He said it is his problem. It is everyone's problem. Then he said he was going to find out what he could do to HELP the people that have been targeted and harmed for so long.

He was so sincere and sad at the same time that he was glad about the verdict. Talk about mixed feelings!

Me too. I never thought much about how I go through life. Have I always done my best by others? No I haven't. Why? I guess I just couldn't be bothered. Had too much on my plate. Of course I remembered the days of reading about the KKK and lynchings and Billie Holiday singing about "STRANGE FRUIT". But of late the past few years it has come to my attention that not that much has changed. I expect lynching was illegal but did anyone ever get caught and punished for it? I thought that was then and behind us and this is now and now is better.

I don't think it is. Now the bad guys legalize keeping blacks down by disenfranchising them from voting. Also at the same time the cops murder unarmed young black men because they can. Mostly cops are supported and mostly the victims are blamed. So what has really changed? Lynching isn't limited to swinging by your neck from a tree. Lynching can happen spiritually mentally psychologically. It happens ever day in every way. There just doesn't happen to always be dead bodies as a result.

Do YOU have work to do on you too or are you good?

Posted - April 21, 2021

Responses

A very god point, and I think by you highlighting it I would not agree with you thinking you "couldn't be bothered".

True, there are people with that attitude but I think far more are very much bothered but feel unable to do anything about it themselves.
      April 23, 2021 2:26 AM MDT