Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once again I learned something I didn't know from an Answermug friend. What? That those who serve on juries can get traumatized. How?

Once again I learned something I didn't know from an Answermug friend. What? That those who serve on juries can get traumatized. How?

Because you have to listen to testimoney that could be very upsetting and look at pictures that could be very disturbing. After all they are human beings having to "judge" the actions of other human beings who caused harm to someone or something. Things that stay with you decades later.

Has that ever happened to you too? Any cases that haunt you?

I don't know if I could do it. I don't know if I have the "right stuff" to take it, analyze it, think about it and conclude anything.

Posted - April 25, 2021

Responses

I can understand that, and it must be heightened by the condition of secrecy. I don't know if they are offered help after particularly distressing cases.

I have never been called up for jury service, and hopefully won't be, but I admire those who can discharge the responsibility well. It requires concentrating hard on what is said in court and only in court, ignoring any Press coverage, taking neither side, being dispassionate while still compassionate, and setting aside their own prejudices and pre-conceptions. 
      April 27, 2021 2:17 AM MDT