Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » I want to open my garage door and sell all of my wife's JUNK.

I want to open my garage door and sell all of my wife's JUNK.

How can I convinces her that the things aren't  "antiques"?

Posted - October 24, 2016

Responses

• Have you ever watched one of those reality TV shows about hoarders? If not, I recommend one viewing. It's a major eye opener, an awful shock, to realise the depth of attachment people have to the stuff they keep. Some things are just, "It might be useful one day." Many have a specific value, a story, a sentimental significance that is part of the person's identity and memories, a proof of something real.

I have things inherited from my mother which were in her family's original home for 150 years. We live in a tiny, demountable shack with barely enough room to practise yoga. We were able to replace the prefab dining table with one beautifully crafted from Australian red cedar and matching chairs. It doubles for office, dress-making, and countless other tasks. To make use of the French polished, mahogany bookshelves, I must demolish some built-in, faux-pine veneer cupboards, and to do that I must create inevitable mayhem with the contents in the tight space. I have been procrastinating for 4 years. So while I wait to get a Round Tuit, that beautiful stuff sits in a container, guarded from weather and termites - useless. (  One day...

As to persuading your wife, that might be a lost cause. But you could start by choosing a moment when she's feeling at her best. and asking her what each object means to her. Later, also when feeling at her best, if there are some things with very little or no significance, you could suggest a garage sale for just those objects. She might be more open to the idea if the money allows her to buy something she really wants (or could perhaps help with something needed by your children or grandchildren.) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 24, 2016 7:05 PM MDT
      October 24, 2016 7:04 PM MDT

Most of the "junk" is stuff her wealthy clients (she cleans their houses) gave her. She thinks they are antiques. You are correct...it is a lost cause.
      October 25, 2016 7:05 AM MDT