Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We all know we will die. We hope it is due to old age. Sometimes it's illness or war or violence committed against us. The most tragic?

We all know we will die. We hope it is due to old age. Sometimes it's illness or war or violence committed against us. The most tragic?

Suicide. We die by our own hand. That is always a tragedy. The why is a variable.

Children who bully or are bullied have the highest risk of committing suicde

In some countries like South Korea traditonally children would care for their aging parents but in the 21st century this is no longer a given so some simply commit suicide.

A list of whys.

Mental illness
Traumatic stress
Substance use and impulsivity
Loss or fear of loss
Hopelessness
Chronic pair or illness
Feeling you are a burden to others
Social Isolation
A cry for help
Accidental Suicide

Various methods are used. Use of firearms is most prevalent followed by suffocation (hanging) and poisoning.

Military vets. Old People. Children. No segment of a population is safe from it.

The question is what can we do about it? What should we do about it? If we are our brothers' keeper are we not obliged to help?

On the one hand it is our lives after all and what we do with them is up to us including cutting them short. On the other hand "are we our brothers' keepers?" No skin of my nose if you kill yourself? OR "every man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind?"

Posted - May 17, 2021

Responses