Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We are told that when we grow up we are supposed to "put aside childish things". Have you done so?

We are told that when we grow up we are supposed to "put aside childish things". Have you done so?

Is it possible there are some "childish" things you hold onto and always will?

For me it is a love of unicorns, rainbows and angels. I know. How childish is that?

It is also learning new things every day. Some folks never liked school and were delighted to leave that part of their lives behind. I never did. I never will. I never can.

If you've held on to any childish things are you embarrassed to let others know? Is that you quiet secret? Or is there nothing remotely childish or child like about you? Every bit of you is an adult. If so are you happier now as an adult than you were as a child?

Posted - May 17, 2021

Responses

You're confusing childish with childlike.

Being "childish" means acting immature.  It refers to things like -

- Throwing a tantrum because we didn't get our way
    - Teasing people over pointless things they can't control, like their heritage or unusual last name
    - Mocking someone for having a positive trait, like being smart
    - Annoying people for your own amusement
    - Being obnoxious or inconsiderate to people for no reason other than to "get a reaction"
    - Being unsympathetic and mean when someone is suffering
    - Spreading malicious gossip
    - Trying to get friends kicked out of the group for petty reasons
    - Playing mean pranks
    - Bragging in a way that throws someone under the bus
    - Focusing on "winning" or being right in a disagreement, instead of trying to come to a mutual understanding or solve a problem together.
    - Playing dirty in order to "win" an argument, like denying they said something that undermines their point, or attacking the other person's character.
    - Resorting to childish insults.
    - Hating to be corrected.  Not being able to admit when they're wrong.
    - Quickly escalating small differences of opinion into nasty arguments. Not being able to have a fairly calm discussion.
    - Being passive-aggressive, instead of handling a problem directly (e.g., acting moody to punish their friend for cancelling on them at the last second).
    - Holding onto grudges.
    - Getting caught up in petty rivalries.

(and such)

To be childlike is - 

- Being curious (learning)
    - Loving unicorns or rainbows or pollywogs 
    - Being trusting
    - Being imaginative (seeing shapes in clouds)
    - Being silly
    - Catching snowflakes on your tongue
    - Getting messy when you cook  (not tomato-sauce-on-the-ceiling-fan messy, rather let loose and enjoy yourself instead of making cooking a chore)
    - Playing (having fun)

(and such)

Our world is cold, sterile, hate-filled, and violent, because many reject being childlike (even ridiculing those who are), and cling to being childish instead.

May 17, 2021 1:21 PM MDT

Once again you are incorrect. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Going into detail about this makes no sense.
      May 18, 2021 5:03 AM MDT

Actually, since you quoted the Apostle Paul, it got me wondering what the true definition of childish was.  So I spent a few hours researching your question a little more in depth.  What I wrote is correct (psychologically).  Childish is immaturity.  What you described is not immaturity.

What struck me was that every one of the elements on the childish side described our ex-president.

May 18, 2021 12:08 PM MDT

I am childish (silly) at times m'dear. I stand by that totally. I think being chidish at times at the age of 83 is what keeps me going happily from day to day. I giggle a lot. I smile. I'm not smirker but I do laugh at myself every day for or another than is in fact CHILDISH. What does it matter anyway? Semantics is a fluid thing like mercury. You can never pin it down or grab it. What I intend when I say what I say may be what you get from it. And vicey versey. Are you never silly or childish? Ever? Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 19, 2021 2:49 AM MDT