Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » There is no 100% guarantee that you are SAFE after being vaccinated. Odds are pretty good that you are with some caveats. Do YOU feel safe?

There is no 100% guarantee that you are SAFE after being vaccinated. Odds are pretty good that you are with some caveats. Do YOU feel safe?

I don't. There are too many "conditions" that may compromise immune systems causing less effective protection for many.

Added to that now based on the honor system those who are vaccinated are told we can go maskless. Are any of you gonna trust complete strangers for being honorable? Exactly.

So we have changed nothing and it is doubtful we will. So much for vaccination bringing peace of mind and safety and "back to normal".

Am I alone in this? Are all of you vaccinated folks feeling just swell and fine and dandy maskless? SIGH.

Posted - May 17, 2021

Responses

I feel secure in the knowledge that having been vaccinated, I am less likely to get Covid and, if I do, it will be a milder case and that it will be even less likely that I will have to be hospitalized.  No vaccine or medicine is 100% effective - 95% +/- for the Moderna vaccine is good enough for me.   I will continue to wear a mask indoors when shopping, etc. and anywhere I'm likely to be around more people
      May 17, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

That's sensible L. Have you read the list of caveats? People with underlying conditions may have weak immune systems and so their safety may be less than the average person? What kind of underlying conditions? Well obesity, diabetes, being on chemotherapy for starters. Also cancer SURVIVORS. If you ever had chemo your immune system may be compromised. For how long? I dunno. They don't know. I'm a cancer survivor. Also "they" don't know for how long the "protection" will last. I have read anywhere from TWO to SIX months and "possibly" longer. Possibly is not a comfort to me. So there is no benefit for us to change anything about our way of life. Mask glove social distance and don't trust anyone. We have stayed safe because of it. Why fix what ain't broke? I only speak for me of course. Others do whatever makes sense to them. Trusting other people in this day age could be deadly. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! Also Jim had a mild stroke several years ago. It affected his hearing and his balance. Might it also have affected his immune system? See? Lots of things to consider for us that have nothing to do with your life. This post was edited by RosieG at May 18, 2021 8:35 AM MDT
      May 18, 2021 3:15 AM MDT

I can certainly understand your position and if it were me, I would feel the same way.  I think there's a good reason to keep wearing a mask in pubic at least for the foreseeable future.  Happy Monday. :)
      May 18, 2021 8:36 AM MDT

Me too so we will. However I was double masking plus wearing a face shield. After I was "safe" I stopped wearing the shield and today is the first day I wore only ONE MASK in months. But that one mask stays on at least until June 15 (per our guv) and maybe forever. So many jacka** trump adoring worshippers out there I don't trust anyone I don't know. Not a problem for me. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 26, 2021 12:54 PM MDT

If that's what makes you feel safe and comfortable, that's all that counts.  I'm sure plenty of people will lie about getting the shots but haven't.
      May 26, 2021 1:29 PM MDT

Which is why we will continue to mask even after June 15 which is what our guv has ordered. Too many liars around. Too many anti-vac and anti-Biden folks around. You can't tell who is who so I distrust all of them. No skin off my nose. Safer that way. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 4, 2021 7:36 AM MDT

Better safe than sorry.  Happy Friday!
      June 4, 2021 10:09 AM MDT

I'll buy that! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      June 9, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

I think of it as similar to the flu vaccine I get every year.
    It doesn't guarantee I won't get the flu - but provides increased protection.

Or ... similar to using a condom.
    It doesn't guarantee there won't be a pregnancy - but it greatly reduces the odds.  LOL
      May 17, 2021 2:02 PM MDT

Cute Walt. Well at the age of 70 I got uterine cancer so all that babymaking stuff is gone. Underlying conditions will compromise your immune system. There are lots and lots of caveats that affect the efficacy of the protection and length. They don't KNOW FOR SURE how long the protection lasts. They give us their best guess. Meanwhile variants and mutations are having a field day always ahead of us. We just have to use common sense which varies dramatically from homo sap to homo sap. We have to accommodate liars of whom there are many probably so just suspect everyone of everything all the time and never let your guard down. I know. Dark isn't it? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      May 18, 2021 3:22 AM MDT

i  had covid and got vaccinated so I'm sure I will be safe from getting a severe infection if anything. I DO NOT want covid again, that's for sure 
      May 17, 2021 2:04 PM MDT

Condolences to you that you had it a m b e r. I read that it is a most awful disease to survive. And then of course no one knows what lasting damage may be a residual effect. I hope you are not a LONG HAULER who suffers from multiple problems due to COVID. About 1/3 of those who got it do. I hope you are in that 2/3 who don't. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to you. Do you still plan to mask and social distance?
      May 18, 2021 3:24 AM MDT

Now vaccinated, I feel as safe as I am ever likely to be; but am aware that no vaccine is always 100% certain. 

We can't live a hermit-like life all the time though, so I still see life now as a matter of calculated risk and being careful. 
      May 17, 2021 4:40 PM MDT

There are so many exceptions Durdle. Caveats. If you have any underlying condition that could compromise you then you cannot be guaranteed safety. Like what? Well obesity, diabetes, chemotherapy for starters. I had cancer in 2008. They mention current cancer patients on chemotherapy but they also do not know what the impact could be on cancer SURVIVORS. That's me. Also age is important. There are a bazillion things that could impact one's safety. Among them people are liars and will lie and say they were vaccinated. How will I know? I won't. I don't trust anyone about anything at any time these days. So we will continue to mask glove social distance. There is NO WAY I can ever go back to the way it was. We are assured pandemics are here to stay. The mutations and variants are keeping ahead of us. We DON"T KNOW for how long the effectiveness will last.I heard anywhere from 2 months to 6 months and "possibly" longer. We can't relax and breathe easily on "possibly". I see a future of being a pin cushion or an anti-vaxxer. There is no middle there. Dark view? Maybe. But I live in America. The land of white supremacist racist insurrectionists of which or whom there are multiple millions. We've stayed safe so far HECAUSE we are always masked gloved and social distance. Why fix what ain't broke? Sorry for the nature of my reply but it is what it is. We will continue to get whatever "shots" are provided. Automatically. But feeling safe and protected? No way. That's gone over and done. Thank you for your reply! :) As for being a hermit? Well I kinda am sorta. My SAFE place has always been home, my favorite place in the world. :)
      May 18, 2021 2:59 AM MDT

I had the Pfizer 1st and 2nd shot and am fine.
      June 9, 2021 10:57 AM MDT