Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Conventional elecctricity depends on fossil fuel and coal-powered steam turbines." WHAT? IS THAT TRUE?

"Conventional elecctricity depends on fossil fuel and coal-powered steam turbines." WHAT? IS THAT TRUE?

Posted - May 28, 2021

Responses

Of course. 

That electric car is still be powered by fossil fuels...just indirectly.
      May 28, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

Color me ignorant. You say "of course". Not for me and not to me. I DID NOT KNOW THAT. AARRGGHH. You know this climate thing is way more complicated than I thought. It's very frustrating. Thank you for your reply m2c. Sheesh! What next is going to shock me that I don't know about?
      May 28, 2021 9:04 AM MDT

Most people don't realize that.
      May 28, 2021 1:47 PM MDT

Really?  I was taught that in Jr High. 
      May 28, 2021 2:06 PM MDT

:):):) thanks.
      May 29, 2021 1:50 AM MDT

Plus nuclear and hydro-electric power ... both renewable resources.
    I mean, at least Europe has figured out how to recycle their nuclear waste.
    America needs to catch up.  We have tons of nuclear waste to recycle.

Heck, Switzerland figured out how to use their garbage for energy - and even imports garbage from other countries.
    America needs to stop using landfills, and use our garbage to create energy.

Wind turbines?  Have you seen the videos of them burying hundreds of those turbine blades?
    Guess wind power isn't as friendly to the environment as claimed.
      May 28, 2021 8:51 AM MDT

OK now I'm officially GOBSTOMPED! I had no idea that fossil fuel or coal got anywhere near ELECTRICITY! Geez so even that has an effect on climate! Can we solar power everything Walt? I have a question I asked about flying planes using solar energy. How much fossil fuel/coal is used to get us electrified? I mean 100% of gas is based on fossil fuel right? What percent of electricity do we get using fossil fuel? I don't know for sure if that question makes sense but I know you know what I'm driving at Walt. This is very complicated isn't it? Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 28, 2021 9:02 AM MDT

I know my local public utility districts send a breakdown every year, to rate payers.

Here's a link with national information: Electricity Sources by State (April 2021) | Choose Energy®
      May 28, 2021 10:26 AM MDT

I just checked out that link Walt! WOW! AWESOME. You know what? It's probably undoubtedly my fault. I don't always READ everything that comes with the bill. I know. Dumb right? Perhaps this info has been provided many times and I just never bothered reading it. Today I take a pledge that the next bill that comes in I WILL READ EVERY WORD OF EVERY INSERT. Sigh. Thank you for your helpfully informative reply. I appreciate it! :)
      May 28, 2021 10:35 AM MDT

I was vaguely aware of the Grand Coulee Dam, in Washington.
    I think I may have visited it, as a family trip when I was a child.
    I didn't realize it is actually larger than the Hoover Dam - making it the largest dam in the US.
    Nor did I realize they put on a nightly lazer-light show, during much of the year.
      May 28, 2021 11:15 AM MDT

You're gonna laugh at what crossed my mind as I read this. Far afield but maybe relevant? You are a guest at someone's home and spill red wine on the carpet. Soon and "quite by accident" the hostess does the same thing. To make the guest feel less guilty of course. Maybe that was not your intent but that's how I read it. I did not know that the Grand Coulee Dam was larger than the Hoover Dam. Why does Hoover get all the press? And a nightly lazer-light show? Whoa. How cool is that?. I remember a billion years ago the summer I was 14 we camped at Yosemite with family members. I don't know if they still have it but then they had the FIREFALLS. I guess it was hot coals being thrown over a ledge and they cascaded down like a waterfall. In the dark of night it was quite a sight but a LAZER SHOW? If I could choose that would be my choice! Thank you for your nifty reply  Walt. I'm going to GOOGLE GRAND COULEE. I know nothing about it but I will! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 28, 2021 1:53 PM MDT
      May 28, 2021 11:39 AM MDT

According to YosemiteFirefall.com, the Firefall happens when the setting sun reflects off of Horsetail Fall at a certain angle, which lights up the upper part of the falls, and creates emblazing orange and red hues.Feb 8, 2021
      May 28, 2021 1:53 PM MDT

So it's just water lit by nature. Good to know. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 29, 2021 8:44 AM MDT
      May 29, 2021 1:48 AM MDT

My son lives in WA and his electric bill is triple what mine is. If hydro is essentially free, why the huge difference?
      May 28, 2021 1:51 PM MDT

I know the price has increased in the last decade, due to the environmentalists demanding the removal of dams and the restoration of those areas.

Then there's the fact no new hydro or nuclear plants being built, and the states are shutting down coal plants.
    They say they are replacing coal with wind turbines - but coal runs 24/7, and wind does not.  
    So there is less power, but increasing demand.

What amazes me is that they didn't seem to realize sediment would build up behind dams - increasing the pressure on the structure and reducing the water storage.  So now they are spending more on sediment removal.

Ah, can't forget the environmentalists demanding better fish passages.  It's not easy or cheap to remodel a dam, to allow more fish upstream.
      May 28, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

:):):)
      May 29, 2021 1:52 AM MDT

:):):)
      May 29, 2021 1:52 AM MDT

Not as many gov rebates etc for hydo as the wind/solar. 
      May 29, 2021 6:03 AM MDT