Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Didja know there exists a "solar powered rodent pest control garden repeller"? Got one? Want one?

Didja know there exists a "solar powered rodent pest control garden repeller"? Got one? Want one?

Posted - May 31, 2021

Responses

They don't work.  My sister tried them to get rid of gophers and moles, but I was more successful (in comparison) with patience and a shovel.
      May 31, 2021 12:48 PM MDT

You know that name just tickled me no end Shuhak. It's about the longest name of anything I ever saw. How would you put it on a marquee? And your sis actually bought one and surprise surprise surprise it didn't work! I am SHOCKED! Was it expensive? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      June 1, 2021 1:37 AM MDT

Is it organic and gluten free?
      June 1, 2021 11:33 AM MDT

The PEST REPELLER?
      June 2, 2021 2:54 AM MDT

Nowadays, the catch-phrases the marketing businesses are using are: Organic, gluten free and plant-based. They'll put it on everything and there are plenty of stupid peeps that will buy them
      June 2, 2021 10:10 AM MDT

Oh. Okey dokey. I get it now. Thanks for the clarification. It helped bigly! :)
      June 2, 2021 11:22 AM MDT

I think some of those sorts of devices are claimed to emit a whistle of sufficiently high or low frequency to be inaudible to humans but unpleasant or alarming to the pests.

Whether they work is another matter, but if powered by a small solar cell like those path-marker lamps, their effective range is likely to be very low anyway. 

These seem the kind of gadgets I have seen advertised by mail-order companies who stock all manner of unlikely home, health and garden items you never need but can't do without. The catalogue writers delight in sprinkling the descriptions with scientific terms, but the text soon shows they barely understand the words let alone the concepts and the flaws.
      June 2, 2021 4:00 PM MDT

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, there were so many gadgets that increased your fuel mileage that if you used them all at the same time your car would produce gasoline.
      June 2, 2021 4:31 PM MDT

"... to produce gasoline" as some compensation for what you've spent on gadgets?

I wonder how many of them, such as the magnets clamped aound the fuel line, ever worked.

Around that time the motorcyling publications carried ads for a so-called "injector". I never saw one physically but the photo suggested it was no more than a very basic carburettor. (Had to think then. Long time since I last wrote that word.)
      June 3, 2021 4:03 PM MDT

It was a water mist injector. Crazy. Clamping magnets around the fuel line sounds stupid. BTW, my comment I made about 'making gasoline' was a joke. I think I heard it from a TV comedian.
      June 3, 2021 4:09 PM MDT