Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it possible to QUANTIFY rare? Numerically speaking? Or can it be any number or percentage?

Is it possible to QUANTIFY rare? Numerically speaking? Or can it be any number or percentage?

I guess that has something to do with odds doesn't it?

The odds that you will get the heart inflammation if you have heart disease and get the COVID vaccine is what being rate?

Posted - June 13, 2021

Responses

I used to collect coins. Some series, like older large cents have rarity number for different varieties, R-1 to R-8 (rarest).

June 13, 2021 1:03 PM MDT

This is nifty  E. There is actually a chart for rarity in coins. Maybe what I really mean is odds then. Any comparison of anything applied to any size group. Instead of rare, what are the odds of? Do you still have y our coins? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 14, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

When I completed my sets, I split them up and gave them to my children about 6 years ago.
      June 14, 2021 6:31 AM MDT

Wow! Very grand and generous of you m'dear! GOOD JOB! Thank you for sharing that with us! :)
      June 14, 2021 6:33 AM MDT

I hope they, or the grandkids, enjoy them as much as I did collecting them. It took more than 50 years to complete them. My favorite was a complete set of US Large Cents from 1816-1857.

June 14, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

They are YOUR kids and grandkids m'dear. I have no doubt of that. Large cents? Larger than our today pennies? That is beautiful actually. Did you go to coin shows or coin dealers E? Or maybe even pawn shops where people in need of money might have taken their coins? I think it is super awesome to have an abiding interest in collecting things like stamps and coins or whatever memorabilia that calls to you. I think it shows great respect for what we have. Some folks don't place a value on anything. Not interested in preserving anything. Tear it down. Build new. I collected unicorns. I know that makes me an easy target but so what? Unicorns, rainbows and angels are my cuppa tea. My sister has done 4 oil paintings of Unicorns for me. I have a beautiful hooked rug with two unicorns on it that wears like IRON. I've had it for over 40 years and it looks brand new. She did a needlepoint unicorn for me which I have on display. She also has given me an adorable angel that I have on my bookshelf. There could be worse things I might have collected. You too. I think we did very well. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 14, 2021 6:54 AM MDT
      June 14, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

Of course my kids and grandkids. The large cents are much larger than today's pennies. I got them over the years from coin shows and coin shops, and many of them through online auctions.
      June 14, 2021 7:03 AM MDT

Were they LIFESIZE? What you showed? Is that the actual size? WOW! Are your kids following through in collecting? Thank you for your reply E. This post was edited by RosieG at June 14, 2021 7:06 AM MDT
      June 14, 2021 7:05 AM MDT

They are about one third the size of the pic up there. The kids don't appear that interested in them. Coin collecting is a lost hobby...It's very rare to find something valuable in pocket change, although about four years ago, I found a 1939-D nickel in excellent condition. That is the ONLY ONE I ever found. I put it back into circulation for someone else to find. 

June 14, 2021 7:12 AM MDT

You DID? Wow that was very generous of you to do. I can't see me doing that.  I mean that would be like walking past a $10 bill (or whatever it would be worth) on the ground and leaving it there for someone else to find. I found a $20 bill on a parking lot once. I picked up and didn't feel guilty about. I know it wasn't mine but whose was it? Also..believe it or not. Many years ago when my son lived in Santa Monica and was attending UCLA to get his Ph.D he and his then girlfriend camped overnight at Will Rogers State Beach...near Malibu. They were going to barbecue hot dogs or burgers at their camp site. They went to the Malibu market and my son found on the parking lot a wadded up rolled up $!00 bill. I am not joking. Right there. Now he spent it. They had a steak barbecue. He could have turned it in to the market but really what sense would that make? I'm just saying it you look sometimes you find! Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 14, 2021 7:20 AM MDT

The coin was only worth a few dollars. It was that I had never found one before in more than 50 years of collecting. The old wheatstalk Lincoln cents that I sometimes find, I also just spend them unless they are valuable.
      June 14, 2021 7:28 AM MDT