Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » They're gonna install solar panels on the Space Station? Why?

They're gonna install solar panels on the Space Station? Why?

Posted - June 20, 2021

Responses

Um.. for power.  They wanted to use an extension cord, but they couldn't find one long enough.  (no offence)

This post was edited by Shuhak at June 21, 2021 1:36 AM MDT
      June 20, 2021 11:44 AM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Whaddabout nuclear power? Witchcraft? Magic? Which brings up another question. How much "up there" is warmed by the Sun? Everything in the sky we can see? I'm gonna ask! How long would an extension cord have t be Shuhak? It would be rather like those lines you see people grabbing, holding on to a slider thingy and moving from up high down to the ground. I don't know what you call them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      June 21, 2021 1:40 AM MDT

Solar power is plentiful, and nowhere near as hazardous as nucular.  

Since the ISS is traveling at around 15,50 MPH.  That means it orbits the earth 16 times in a 24 hour period.  Even if they had an infinite extension cord (and gravity allowed it, and it didn't smash everything on the earth), the earth would become like the inside of a golf ball.  In a month or so the surface of that "golf ball" would be so high it'd collide with the craft.
      June 21, 2021 3:16 PM MDT

You know what the inside of a golf ball looks like? You cut one open? I'm not quite grasping what you replied m'dear. Apologies. The surface of that golf ball would be so HIGH? Why? AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply. Sorry I'm struggling to visualize it. Usually I have no problem at all. :(
      June 22, 2021 5:34 AM MDT

Yep, when I was young.  Curiosity.  I'd been told that if you opened a golf ball it would explode.  Of course I thought a literal explosion.  However, that's not what they meant.  Once I peeled off outer white "wrapper", I found things that resembled rubber bands wrapped tightly around a solid rubber core (the core was a little less than half the size of the original ball).  The core was somewhat bouncy (almost like a "super ball"). 
    I don't think golf balls are made that way anymore, but I haven't dissected one lately to find out.  
      June 22, 2021 12:13 PM MDT

So they were stuffed with junk? Ever slice open a drum to see where the sound comes frum? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      June 22, 2021 1:10 PM MDT

The sound made by a drum is the vibrations made by something striking a hollow object.   An empty milk jug lying on its side in a hard rain is a drum that is most annoying - especially at 2 am.
      June 22, 2021 1:39 PM MDT

I gather you have experienced that? I will take the noise if I can be assured of the HARD RAIN! This you know. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      June 22, 2021 1:43 PM MDT

Why not? Solar power has been used in space since the 1950s.
      June 20, 2021 11:46 AM MDT

Power. 
      June 20, 2021 2:13 PM MDT