Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A mugger mentioned "garage sale" in reply to one of my questions which got me to thinking. Who held the first one? Have you ever held one?

A mugger mentioned "garage sale" in reply to one of my questions which got me to thinking. Who held the first one? Have you ever held one?

Have you gone to any and left empty-handed or can you never resist a buy?

Posted - June 21, 2021

Responses

I have left many a yard sale without making a purchase.  If I don't need/cannot it I do not buy it.
      June 21, 2021 5:28 AM MDT

I've held several garage sales.  BORING!!  You have to get up early to set it up, then sit there in the heat for 8 hours (8-4) while a few people funnel through every now and then.  The Biggest "crowd" comes at 7 am (before you open) and pick through everything ... just in case you're selling something valuable and not know it (in which case they will try to haggle... as if .50 is too expensive), or if they can sell something at a higher price elsewhere.  Come The end of the day, you still have well over half of your stuff ... and made a whopping $20 (IF you're lucky).

I just freecycling nowadays (as does most of my neighborhood).  Anything I don't want anymore I set in the driveway by the tree with a free sign on it.  Most things are gone by the end of the day (a few things were gone before I could get the free sign up).  No fuss, no muss.  Nearly 90% of the houses on this street have free stuff out by the road (from books to furniture).   Two neighbors even have literal yard sales by the road.   Tables of stuff neatly arranged - all free.
      June 21, 2021 2:12 PM MDT

A few neighbors have held them and it is so much trouble. How can you be sure you have the right change? Setting up, staying, taking down. Work. We set things out on the curbs and don't need signs. Folks driving by KNOW they're there for the taking. It's a lot easier that way. Time is money. Tying up an entire day plus all the setup/take down work? I dunno. Plus which I'm not a fan of dealing with strangers coming in and out or rather on the front "lawn" (it's green cement) and poking through things. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! I've gone to a few and got some nice things on the cheap. But they're in the cupboards because I have no more room to display anything. On RARE occasion I will use whatever. So what's the point? :(
      June 22, 2021 5:22 AM MDT

Many people may not know that yard and garage sales in the U.S. really got their start in shipyards in the early 1800s with “rommage sales,” where the yards would sell unclaimed cargo at a discounted rate. Later in the 19th century the sales moved to community centers like churches and really began to thrive, until they became what we know them as today in the 1950s and 60s.

No I do t go to any.
    This post was edited by ONeg-84 at June 22, 2021 3:29 AM MDT
      June 21, 2021 3:07 PM MDT

Thank you for  a very informative reply. I am among the "many" but now I'm not thanks to you. Happy Tuesday to you and yours! :)
      June 22, 2021 3:30 AM MDT