Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Fireworks are ILLEGAL in Los Angeles. One guy had 5000 pounds of it stored at his home. BOMB SQUAD showed up. Guess what happened?

Fireworks are ILLEGAL in Los Angeles. One guy had 5000 pounds of it stored at his home. BOMB SQUAD showed up. Guess what happened?

They put some of the explosives in the Bomb Squad Truck to minimize the danger. Then the Bomb Squad Truck blew up and 17 people were injured. Now they have to find out what caused the explosion since those are built to withstand them.

How much damage could 5000 lbs of illegal fireworks do if it all blew up at once?

Posted - July 1, 2021

Responses

Well ... have you heard of Tannerite?
    It is a chemical used to make targets explode, when shot.
    The warning says to stay at least 100 yards away, from a pint-sized container.

Here's a link to what happened when a guy put THREE pounds of Tannerite in a refrigerator:
    Guy shoots refridgerator full of explosives and the door flies at him | The Kansas City Star
      July 1, 2021 8:44 AM MDT

Good golly miss molly! It's only July 1. What's gonna happen every day up to JULY 4 AND WILL BE DEADLY lifewise? Why can't folks be happy with SPARKLERS? Thank you for your reply Walt and the link. Are fireworks legal where you live?
      July 1, 2021 11:04 AM MDT

Yep, they are.
    It used to be illegal - but the state gave up because so many people went to the reservations and across the river to Oregon, to buy fireworks.

When I have the funds, I'll spend over $1000 on fireworks.  I even bought a remote-launch control for them.
    I'd like to be able to synch the display to music, but am not at that knowledge level yet.  
      July 1, 2021 11:44 AM MDT

GREAT! Now you just gave me something to worry about about YOU! Do you know people can blow off their hands fireworksing on their own? $1000 on fireworks? WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU? Maybe it's the kid in you that never outgrew it? My speed? SPARKLERS. They're very pretty and very HARMLESS. Nothing gets blown off or blown up. Long ago as a kid my dad took us to the L.A. Coliseum for the 4th of July Fireworks. I was maybe 10? It was splendid. It was SAFE. All the handling of the fireworks was done somewhere close by. All we had to do was look up at the sky and be amazed! Thank you for your reply Walt. Who besides you enjoys it when you blow up $1000 worth of noisemakers?` STAY SAFE.
      July 1, 2021 11:49 AM MDT

Do you know people can blow off their hands fireworksing on their own?

Yep - that's why I got a remote launch control.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU? Maybe it's the kid in you that never outgrew it?

Yep.  I'm just a big kid, when it comes to explosions of all sorts.
    If I could afford it, I'd have a cannon in my front yard.  lol

Who besides you enjoys it when you blow up $1000 worth of noisemakers?

I have that frienemy with health problems.  She and her parents can't get to the local show, but have family over to set off fireworks.
    So when I can afford a bigger show, I do it at their house or where they can go enjoy it.

Though it would also be cool, if I could afford the thousands of dollars to put on one of those drone light shows.
      July 1, 2021 12:31 PM MDT