Active Now

Zack
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Whether with telescope or unaided eye when you look up at the skies do you ever see squares, triangles or nexagons? Only rounds? Why?

Whether with telescope or unaided eye when you look up at the skies do you ever see squares, triangles or nexagons? Only rounds? Why?

Posted - July 7, 2021

Responses

The natural shape of a star or planet is a sphere, because it develops from matter coalescing around its centre of mass by its own gravity working evenly all the way round it.

Galaxies and star clusters are a lot more diffuse but even they have centres of gravity that tend to pull lthem into globular or disc shapes.

July 7, 2021 8:15 AM MDT

You know the first time I ever thought of that Durdle? Last night while I was falling alseep. Now why on earth would my mind travel there and notice it after all these years of looking up at the sky and going to planetariums? I cannot corral my mind. It goes off to the strangest places at the weirdest times. Can you control where your mind goes? Thank you for your informative reply. Why does gravity work "evenly"? See? I can't stop! :)
      July 7, 2021 8:17 AM MDT