Active Now

Zack
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » New York is the first state to declare a STATE OF EMERGENCY DUE TO GUN VIOLENCE! Why New York and Not Illinois due to Chicago?

New York is the first state to declare a STATE OF EMERGENCY DUE TO GUN VIOLENCE! Why New York and Not Illinois due to Chicago?

Posted - July 7, 2021

Responses

Most likely, because it's just more political drama, rather than a real attempt to change anything.
    What have they done to change anything prior to declaring a "state of emergency"?  Nothing substantive.
    What will the "state of emergency" allow them to do?  Nothing substantive.

I mean, it's not like they are going to call up the NY National Guard and declare martial law and seize all firearms.
    Hopefully none of them are stupid enough to start a civil war.

If we go by "Murder and Non-negligent manslaughter" crime ... from 2017 figures ... New York City is #80, and Chicago is #10.

Based on total violent crime ... Chicago is #17, and NYC is #59.

List of United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia
      July 7, 2021 2:12 PM MDT

At least it's an attempt to call attention to the problem. I mean after every gun-related massacre these cretins go out and buy tons more guns. How do you stop them from that path? At least New York is pointing out something very bad that's going on. Saying nothing or saying something? Maybe if every state including the bright reds did that something might change for the better. But the gun people don't give a sh** and the gun makers and gun sellers get rich on it. Making instruments of murder/killing is profitable. Money is the be all and end all of life. So is owning guns in amurrica. Try to contain it and you have gun people in the streets shooting other people dead. I'm not a fan of keeping quiet as you know Walt. I SPEAK UP about everything. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO? It does me a lot of good to stand up speak up and take sides. Toothless and clawless I may be but I CAN STILL ROAR and I will. This is New York ROARING. I salute them for it. Different strokes m'dear. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine. As usual another question is coming from this thread. And so it goes. keeps me off the streets and out of the bars in my old age! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 8, 2021 3:19 AM MDT
      July 8, 2021 3:18 AM MDT

Perhaps when someone is arrested, they should have to post bail. And if convicted get a real sentence rather than a slap on the wrist.
      July 8, 2021 6:53 AM MDT