Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The Van Allen Radiation Belts. Now where on earth did I learn about that? From a SciFi movie I watched today. Looked it up. Guess what?

The Van Allen Radiation Belts. Now where on earth did I learn about that? From a SciFi movie I watched today. Looked it up. Guess what?

It's kinda scary.

In the movie the belt got very close to earth and earth got very much hotter and at some point it would burn up...I think at 175 degrees F? In the movie.

Now in reality could they get hotter and closer to the planet? At what point do things begin to melt? Boiling water gets up to 212 F right? AT what point would water get too hot for humans to endure? At what temperature would human life cease to exist?

Posted - July 7, 2021

Responses

I remember that name from the 1961 movie, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".  If I recall correctly, the belt caught fire and they to launch a nuclear missile to fix it.
      July 8, 2021 1:49 PM MDT

Exactly right m'dear. They launched it from a high tech submarine. . It was a fascinating movie and of course I had to look it up just to see if the Van Allen radiation belt was fake or based on reality. I like movies like that. I'm a sci fi fan but I don't enjoy it given to me via ridiculously absurd. I like parts of it to be grounded in possibility. So I really enjoyed/appreciated it. At first I thought it might be another Captain Nemo thingy but it wasn't! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) The title of the movie was "VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA"! This post was edited by RosieG at July 9, 2021 10:33 AM MDT
      July 9, 2021 4:00 AM MDT

I haven't seen that movie in quite some time, but I can still recall a lot of it.  I believe it had Genie ... I meana Barbara Eden in it, the guy with the van dyke beard was the bad guy and there were a few scenes with a dog.  They destroyed the flying sub, however it "reappeared" in the  subsequent series.
      July 9, 2021 10:39 AM MDT

It did. It also had Michael Ansara, Barbara Eden's real-life husband. Maybe they met on that set! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! That series of hers was so darn cute! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 9, 2021 10:52 AM MDT
      July 9, 2021 10:50 AM MDT