Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly the Taliban visits Putin and informs him that Russia and its allies in Central Asia will be left alone. Isn't that SWEET?

Allegedly the Taliban visits Putin and informs him that Russia and its allies in Central Asia will be left alone. Isn't that SWEET?

Posted - July 9, 2021

Responses

Nothing sweet about any of them.

The Taliban have two basic wants.
    The first is their own power over Afghanistan.
    The second is to avoid wars with any other country that might result in foreign troops back in Afghanistan.

From Russia's point of view, they don't want trouble with another country on their border, espcially Afghanistan that proves so hard for the USSR to take over.

Really, it's China we need watch there, not Russia. Although they are so far apart ideologically it would be very advantageous to China for Afghanistan to fall within her spreading control and influence. It is too far away for direct take-over as in Tibet; but an economic grip will do very nicely thank-you as far as Beijing is concerned. The one worry for China would be a Taliban government, because even if the Uyghurs are the "wrong" sort of Muslims the Afghans might sympathise with them. Though I have not heard many squeaks of protest aimed at Beijing from Iran or Saudi Arabia... (Pakistan might be too dangerously close to China to say anything.) 
      July 11, 2021 3:29 PM MDT

Presuming that report is true it just seemed so very odd to me to do that. They go out of their way to tell folks "don't worry you're safe we won't harm you or your pals" or words to that effect. Doesn't that seem odd to you too? Thank you for your informed analysis Durdle. It helps to understand a bit more how they are wired. T'is a puzzlement though. They don't convey "we have your back" or " you can count on us". But "you are not the target". Crackpotitis?
      July 12, 2021 2:25 AM MDT