Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You don't have to kill trees to produce paper. Paper can be made from KENAF (related to cotton) or HEMP. Are paper manufacturers doing so?

You don't have to kill trees to produce paper. Paper can be made from KENAF (related to cotton) or HEMP. Are paper manufacturers doing so?

Posted - July 11, 2021

Responses

Some may be but what matters is that the trees are replaced with new ones as the grown ones are harvested. What we don't want is natural forest being replaced with more and more cultivations that can be avoided.
      July 11, 2021 2:47 PM MDT

Apologies Durdle but I don't understand your reply. Could you clarify or expand on it? Thank you! :) I think it is very good that as we cut trees down we plant new ones. It's the rest of your reply I don't fathom. :(
      July 12, 2021 2:43 AM MDT

There are two sources of the softwood (pines and firs) suitable for paper-making: natural forest and cultivated forest. Either way, the trees removed should be replaced with saplings of the same species; but natural forest is often of mixed species and not all are suitable for paper-mills.

The cultivation I meant involves wholesale destruction of natural forest or other habitats in order to plant cash-crops or make grazing-land. The cash-crop can be anything but includes mass planting of a single commercial species of tree such as pine or oil-palm, or a different type of plant altogther, such as the kenaf and hemp you mention. 

Essentially, attempting to solve one problem in the simplest and cheapest way usually creates other problems much harder and costlier to solve.

July 13, 2021 4:43 PM MDT

Everything is connected apparently Durdle. Junk in junk out. No man is an island entire of itself. What is that saying about a butterfly in one part of the world can affect things in another part of the world? Every action has an equal and opposite reaction...allegedly. But we can't possibly know every outcome of every action we take or word we speak. So here we are doing and talking in our part of the world while elsewhere others are suffering for it or paying for it. I'll tell you this. What I saw on 60 minutes about what has been going on Syria due to the monstrous Assad I cannot erase from my mind. How many monsters like ASSAD have there been, are there now and will there be? Thank you for your reply Durdle. What worst/worse/worser is ahead of us? I have no idea. Do you? This post was edited by RosieG at July 16, 2021 5:04 PM MDT
      July 14, 2021 5:09 AM MDT

The butterfly allegory does rather stretch the point; but it is so that actions can have consequences beyond those intended or foreseen.

The  "equal and opposite reaction" law comes from Theoretical Mechanics, the branch of Physics that studies forces and motion. It works there, with inanimate objects, but as soon as you try to apply rules like that to human activities they fail because humans are not predictable and do not react in measurable ways.

I'm afraid dictators like President Assad have always been around and probably always will be.
      July 16, 2021 5:10 PM MDT

Do you watch 60 minutes? If so did you happen to watch the segment on the terrible things Assad has done to his country's citizens? I wonder how many like him there are, were, will be? Human life has no value to so many. I wonder why those despot dictators cannot handle being disagreed with? Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 17, 2021 2:56 AM MDT