Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What "tests" do you fear the most? The results of medical tests? Taking tests to measure your knowledge like Driver's LIcense Renewals?

What "tests" do you fear the most? The results of medical tests? Taking tests to measure your knowledge like Driver's LIcense Renewals?

Posted - July 11, 2021

Responses

Blood tests (I hate needles).  Worse, I can never seem to pass them.  I've never gotten an "A" on one... only an "O" (or is that a zero?)

This post was edited by Shuhak at July 11, 2021 11:05 AM MDT
      July 11, 2021 11:03 AM MDT

Once upon a time I knew what my blood type was...I think. Today I don't have a clue. What difference it makes I also don't know. I'm not fond of needles but I don't have a problem with them. Some folks who inject or draw blood are cruel. They leave  black and blue marks! Others slip in almost painlessly and never leave a trace. I have no idea why some are barbaric and some are so gentle. Do you? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      July 11, 2021 11:07 AM MDT

They either don't know what they are doing or they're trying to do it too fast.  Every person's veins aren't in the exact same place or are the exact same size.  Surface veins are easier to get blood from, while veins that "roll" (move) aren't.  Many phlebotomists just want to go "wham, bam your out of there" -  swab the space, place on the band, and do the draw.  I don't know, maybe they have a quota to meet?  It's even worse if they can't locate a vein (frustration makes them want to go faster).   Angled "sticks" are usually better that straight on stabs (bruise-wise).
      July 11, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

I learned to ask for the "butterfly" needle which is smaller in size. As I've aged my skin has gotten thinner of course and I think the veins are smaller too. Anyway it helps a lot and I would say most of the time it doesn't show unless you look really hard. The person who draws the blood  is always someone different. I don't know why so I never know what aftermath I'll experience. Maybe it's simply a snack some have others don't. I wouldn't want to have to stick in a needle in anyway either to draw blood or inject something. It gives me the willies just thinking about it. Could you do that? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      July 12, 2021 6:45 AM MDT

Using the butterfly needle takes longer  I don't do well with blood. Best to get me in and out quickly.  
    You too?  And here I thought high turnover was just a local thing... like they trained here to become vampires and then went elsewhere as  professionals. I know the pay here isn't near as good as it is in the Valley, but if it's that way with you too...??  Hmmm... maybe they develop a blood phobia, or become dentists.  

No.  I am extremely squeamish with blood (and even worse with eyes).  I Had to give my mom instructions how to test her blood, from another room.
      July 12, 2021 4:42 PM MDT

I haven't noticed that it takes any longer Shuhak. Oh you don't mean sticking you with it you mean getting the blood to flow through it since it is thinner so blood flows from the vein more slowly. Well the larger needles pushes throught entire vein. So there really is no choice. I've had a few of those and it's painful and they have to keep adjusting it until they can get the blood. I've been done that and had quite enough of it. Thank you for your reply. I'm not squeamish in that way. I know it must be done to test it to make sure it is healthy and whatever that takes I'm there for it. I'm really lucky veinwise. During the six months of Chemo I only had a vein COLLAPSE once. Some folks couldn't tolerate it throught the veins so they had to a small port installed in their chests to have the chemo run through it. I didn't need anything. Also my cancer was two types so that had to use real tough stuff on me. It was developed just for me and luckily I was very healthy and had no other conditions like diabetes or heart trouble to get in the way. It was sarcoma and carcinoma I think. Anyway whatever it was worked and was worth it. Three days after 3 weeks for six months. The 25 days of radiation didn't require anything. The chemo wasn't bad for me. They give you anti-nausea pills before each session. But some folks had a terrible time. They lost a lot of weight. I didn't. Anyway I count my lucky stars. If I'd gotten cancer without having Medicare I'd be dead. Who could afford to stay alive without it? Nope. I was 70 when I got it. Another lucky break! And so it goes m'dear. If it isn't one thing it's another (my favorite Gilda Radner quote)! :)
      July 13, 2021 4:04 AM MDT