Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So fire can generate its own lightning? I did not know that. Did you?

So fire can generate its own lightning? I did not know that. Did you?

"California wildfire generates its own lightning as it doubles in size"

Posted - July 11, 2021

Responses

I do know that. Did you know large rainforests create their own weather?
      July 11, 2021 8:35 AM MDT

Yes.  They can (and do) create their own weather (clouds, lightning, tornadoes, etc.).  The more intense the fire, the more "weather" it can create. 
      July 11, 2021 11:00 AM MDT

OY VEY! I'm VERKLEMPT. I'm not sure of what that means but I think it means I'm overwhelemd and have no clue what to do next. Do you? You get it way worse "up north" than we do. How do YOU keep coping? I wonder if age makes a difference? If I were 50 instead of 83 would I be reacting differently? No way of knowing. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. How is your Sis doing? :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 12, 2021 8:20 AM MDT
      July 11, 2021 11:03 AM MDT

"Verklempt":
    Quote: 'Overcome with emotion, perhaps even choked or clenched by emotions': 
    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/verklempt-meaning/ This post was edited by Robert at July 12, 2021 8:20 AM MDT
      July 11, 2021 1:10 PM MDT

Thank you Robert. Very kind of you to offer up an explanation. Happy Monday to thee and thine.
      July 12, 2021 6:48 AM MDT

Oy veh.
      July 12, 2021 8:20 AM MDT

That's my line! :):):) Only I say OY VEY. Which is more correct?
      July 13, 2021 5:09 AM MDT

I'm more Jewish than you.

Dictionary
    oy vey
    /oi ˌvā/
    exclamation
    exclamation: oy vey; exclamation: oy veh; exclamation: oy

indicating dismay or grief.
      July 13, 2021 11:56 AM MDT

I know but that doesn't stop me from kvetching oy veying and generally being all that I can be. Why should it? I have a right to kvetch oy vey and get verklempt don't I? How does my DNA have anything to do with it? Intellectually and emotionally if I feel JEWISH who says I'm not entitled? Okay. Blast away. Let me have it. Armenians and Jews experienced genocide. You on a much bigger scale but so what? The agony and family histories is the same. The torture ended the same. You had gas chambers. We had death marches. We ended up at the same place for the exact same reason. People just hated us and wanted us gone. OK. Lecture is over. Thank you for your reply. You will never be a Jewish mama. I have always had the makings of one. This post was edited by RosieG at July 13, 2021 3:33 PM MDT
      July 13, 2021 2:26 PM MDT

Of late it is a generic term use to convey things other than grief. My mom used it once in a while to show annoyance.
      July 13, 2021 3:35 PM MDT

Grief? I use it as a substitute for OH MY GAWD! Which is dislike disgust despising the cause of whatever is caused that harms others.

I did not it had anything to do with  grief. It seems so benign a saying to connote grief.  And annoyance? An oy vey when one is annoyed? Hmm. Good to know though I will still use it the way I always have. New tricks are hard to master when you're an oldster. No need to anyway. I only have to please me. Thank you or your informative reply E. I'm easy to please you see.
      July 14, 2021 5:47 AM MDT

It can mean whatever you wish it to, but read the definition I posted. I did not write that.
      July 14, 2021 9:50 AM MDT

Thanks.
      July 15, 2021 3:52 AM MDT

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

[Heading:] "Hot-burning B.C. wildfires creating their own weather, spawning thunderstorms and lightning strikes" by Ben Miljure, of CTV News Vancouver, July 2, 2021:

"VANCOUVER -- Wildfires in the British Columbia Interior are pumping so much hot smoke and ash high into the atmosphere, they are actually creating their own micro-weather.

Meteorologists call the resulting phenomenon pyro-cumulonimbus clouds, and say they can spawn thunderstorms and lightning strikes which can then ignite more fires. [...]"

Extract source:
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/hot-burning-b-c-wildfires-creating-their-own-weather-spawning-thunderstorms-and-lightning-strikes-1.5495156

- - - - End of extract - - - -

Alternative source:
    - - - - Start of extract: - - - -

"Extreme heat & fire clouds: How blazes in British Columbia created their own weather", by By Denise Chow, NBC News,  July 3, 2021:

"Severe wildfires that engulfed parts of western Canada this week were so intense that they generated massive "fire clouds" that spawned their own lightning storms. [...] 
    A fire cloud, known as a pyrocumulonimbus cloud or pyroCb, typically forms when a fire rages with enough intensity that it creates updrafts of smoke, water vapor and ash that rise high into the atmosphere. These columns of air then cool and condense, forming clouds that can generate thunder, lightning and tornado-force winds. [...]"

Extract source:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/heat-fire-smoke-british-columbia-produce-extreme-weather-rcna1327

- - - - End of extract - - - -

This post was edited by Robert at July 12, 2021 8:21 AM MDT
      July 11, 2021 1:04 PM MDT

Unfortunately, they don't form rain.
      July 12, 2021 8:22 AM MDT