Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » That will look GREAT on a resume. "Among the very few civilians to be the first to touch the edge of space". Automatic ASTRONAUTS?

That will look GREAT on a resume. "Among the very few civilians to be the first to touch the edge of space". Automatic ASTRONAUTS?

Posted - July 20, 2021

Responses

Those who took those short rides to the top of the atmosphere and back are no more astronauts than I am an aviator for having flown on commercial aeroplanes a few times.

They had a couple of minutes of weightlessness and a stunning view of the Earth, but they did not fly the craft at all. As far as I can make out, it did not even carry a pilot but was all automatic or controlled from the ground.
      July 21, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

So being a passenger going to space is the same as being a passenger in a car. The passenger in the car is not the driver.

But you bring up something I'd like to know. How much of what goes on inside the rocket is controlled on the ground by NASA and how much is controlled by the astronauts? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 23, 2021 5:01 AM MDT
      July 22, 2021 2:53 AM MDT

Pretty much, yes. Only in these jaunts there was not even a "driver". I don't know if the flights were controlled by NASA or the rocket's owners.
      July 22, 2021 3:21 PM MDT

I don't know either but it seems to me that anyone going into space or rather as it was describing "touching the edge" of space would WANT NASA involved somehow, don't you? I mean THEY'RE THE EXPERTS after all. Take advantage of what they know and have them watching your back so to speak. Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      July 23, 2021 5:04 AM MDT