Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What would being in solitary confinement for years never interacting with other human beings due to the mind? Would it crack?

What would being in solitary confinement for years never interacting with other human beings due to the mind? Would it crack?

Could you survive mentally in a dungeon? Food served through a slot. Silence surrounds all around all the time.

Isn't that a form of torture?

Posted - July 21, 2021

Responses

Solitary confinement is the worst torture someone person can inflict on a person.  A basic need for human survival is interaction with others.

One study of inmates showed that solitary confinement can cause a specific psychiatric syndrome, characterized by hallucinations; panic attacks; overt paranoia; diminished impulse control; hypersensitivity to external stimuli; and difficulties with thinking, concentration and memory. Some inmates lost the ability to maintain a state of alertness, while others develop crippling obsessions.  Roughly a third of solitary inmates were “actively psychotic and/or acutely suicidal.  Some people never fully "recover" from being in solitary confinement.  
      July 21, 2021 12:56 PM MDT

How tragically sad is that? Well I think we both agree that the punishment should fit the crime. But what crimes would warrant solitary confinement for life? Would the death penalty be more merciful? I'll ask. Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply Shuhak. I like togetherness a lot WHEN I'M IN THE MOOD. My call. My choice. Having that choice taken away? Oh boy. I don't even want to go there!
      July 22, 2021 3:22 AM MDT