Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you able to suspend disbelief and go with the flow wherever it takes you? Are you an out-and-out SCI FI fan or are there limits?

Are you able to suspend disbelief and go with the flow wherever it takes you? Are you an out-and-out SCI FI fan or are there limits?

Posted - July 21, 2021

Responses

I'm a devout sci-fi fan, but I'm not stupid.  I know there are some things that just aren't real. 
      July 21, 2021 12:17 PM MDT

Isn't that the point my friend? You "suspend" temporarily and go with the flow. But do you put limits on what you will suspend disbelief for?

Hundreds of years ago there were no planes or submarines yet people wrote of such things. Where did that come from? Captain Nemo was pure fantasy right? Didn't someone write a book about a voyage to the moon? Did any of them ever think that fantasy would become a reality? I think those imaginers often were punished for it. Heresy maybe? Or that was what the others thought. I'm open to everything and anything being. They may be already and we just haven't discovered it yet. No closed doors for sure. You? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) Imagine being isolated on a planet somewhere out there? I've seen movies about that and I doubht I could surive. :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 22, 2021 12:15 PM MDT
      July 22, 2021 3:37 AM MDT

Jules Verne wrote about those things back in the 1800's.  
      July 22, 2021 12:16 PM MDT

Leonardo da Vinci wrote about them centuries before that. And now we have submarines and flying machines and button rewinders and tensile strength measuring of wire. Imagine that? Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      July 23, 2021 6:09 AM MDT

I can willfully suspend my disbelief, when I know a story is for entertainment.

On the other hand, that doesn't give "them" the authority to mess with a "classic".
    I'm still VERY disappointed in JJ Abrams' StarTrek movies.

Sure, I enjoyed the action and updated CGI special effects ... but IMO, it was "low brow" to use a premise of time travel, to rewrite the older movies.  Especially after the studios hyped up how great it would be, because JJ Abrams was directing.

Not to mention the time travel plot leaves a big hole.
    If you go back in time because your planet was destroyed because the guy who could save it couldn't get there in time ... guess what?  You now have even more time to save your planet.  Which do you do?  Torture the ONE guy who could have saved your planet, and let billions of being die ... or use the additional time to ensure you save all those beings?  Maybe a Klingon would go with the first option, but Romulans are supposed to be more rational.

Sorry.  StarTrek rant over.  lol This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at July 22, 2021 7:17 AM MDT
      July 21, 2021 12:40 PM MDT

See Walt that's where I have an edge over you. You're smarter so of course you get stuck in details that never ever occur to me. That's the price you pay my friend. I don't so that's why I say I have an edge over you. Now I did not know of or obviously read books on which the movies were made. ANOTHER ADVANTAGE. In fact I'm gonna ask how many others are like me? Blessed with just enough intelligence to do okay but not enough to get in the way of suspending disbelief! Thank you for your reply. Here goes! :)
      July 22, 2021 4:34 AM MDT

I take things on a case-by-case basis.
      July 21, 2021 1:23 PM MDT

I think that's good if you are able to do that Zack. You go with the flow and adjust as the case requires it. Me? I dunno. I like to think I go with the flow and bend when needed but in truth I'm not so sure. I'm intractable about some things and perhaps it works against me. It matters not. It's how I'm wired and I accept everything that comes with it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! Happy you're vaxxed m'dear! :)
      July 22, 2021 3:18 AM MDT