Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Power of Suggeston? Mass Hypnosis? Black Magic? Which of those cause people to believe what they are told not what they experience?

Power of Suggeston? Mass Hypnosis? Black Magic? Which of those cause people to believe what they are told not what they experience?

Posted - July 23, 2021

Responses

I would say - not "black magic".  Or any other form of "magic".
    There is plenty of research showing that only people who already believe in "magic" are effected by it.

Hypnosis, from what I've read, requires a willing suspension of belief.
    In other words, you can't be forcibly hypnotized to act against your beliefs.

On the other hand, we also have proof that the "power of suggestion" is very strong.  Even when people aren't aware that it is happening.
    Thus, we outlawed subliminal messaging during movies.
    However, we still allow "product placement" in scenes ... which must not be as effective.
      July 23, 2021 11:13 AM MDT

Something extraordinarily weird and mysterious is going on Walt in my opinion. How else do you explain the GUANOHEADS and the blatant drive to negatively impact voting rights? There is legislation that is already passed or will be that gives the right to OVERTURN election results if the powers that be don't like the results. Voting will be an exercise in futility. The goal is to WIN and whatever it takes to do that will be done. No matter how egregiously vile evil and depraved. It already is alive and well in some red states. I am SHOCKED at the millions who embrace it. Are all of them insane or evil? It has to be one of the other. I'll ask. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 26, 2021 7:08 AM MDT
      July 24, 2021 3:19 AM MDT

One of my favorite quotes, from Men in Black:

Jay:
    Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it.

Kay:
    A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals; and you know it.

July 26, 2021 6:52 AM MDT

I think I saw that movie...with Will Smith, right? I don't remember that quote but it resonates with me. Just like a person versus a mob/crowd/group. Persons are one thing. A group of them can be a fearsome thing. Why is it like that though? If one person is intelligent why can't a group of them pile up that intelligence into brilliance? I don't get it. A group brings out the worst in people? WHY? I"m gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Walt.
      July 26, 2021 7:04 AM MDT

Because it's hard to "buck the crowd".
    If one loudmouth cries "let's hang him" ... and his friends go along with him ... it's harder for someone to speak out, because it seems as if the crowd supports the idea.  And if the crowd is willing to do violence, who wants to risk the crowd turning on them?
      July 26, 2021 10:26 AM MDT

Point taken. Well any mob crowd group affiliation association that masses up is DANGEROUS. When they are WEAPONIZED AND CRAZY death occurs. We await the next onslaught of the WHITE DUNGS (formerly White Supremacists). It's coming. When I don't know. But I smell them. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      July 29, 2021 5:02 AM MDT

Power of suggestion, possibly, but only on the gullible and unquestioning.

I do not believe there is any such thing as "mass hypnosis", but there powerful cohesive forces and peer pressures at play in large numbers of people of basically matching beliefs.

July 24, 2021 4:41 PM MDT

People individually may be timid or shy but group them together and they become a mob. A mob brings out the worst in its members. Why is that? Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Monday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 26, 2021 7:06 AM MDT
      July 26, 2021 7:06 AM MDT

Happy Monday Rosie!

I don 't know why it happens but it is a phenomenon that's been known, and used, since time immemorial.

People in crowds tend to be swept up by the prevailing mood, and the timid ones perhaps find themselves suddently supported by everyone around them. If they are timid they are hardly likely to oppose a developing mob. Even the strongest are not going to risk that, though if on the edges of the crowd they can slip quietly away, un-noticed, while safe to do so.

It's a sort of extreme form of peer pressure at a highly emotional moment.

This post was edited by Durdle at July 27, 2021 3:22 AM MDT
      July 26, 2021 2:45 PM MDT

Peer pressure. I've never been afflicted with a sensitivity to it. One of the benefits of being a loner I guess. Either what I've just written is true or I have a lousy memory. Either way I go my own way and what others do has nothing to do with what I do/say AS FAR AS I CAN DETERMINE. But along the way if I notice others walking the same path? Well instant like for me. Mostly it sticks. Sometimes it doesn't. Finding others out there who are either kinda the way I am or appreciate even if they don't share it. I learn early which folks I can trust and which folks I can't. Trust how? That I can say whatever occurs to me and they will take it as intended and not pretzelize it for their own use. I can't interact with people I can't trust. Of course it takes a few outings to determine that. I like those who react to what they like and ignore what they don't. That's what I try to do. That way you don't waste your time arguing arguing arguing arguing sameold. That's so boring but that's how some folks spend their days. Saying the same things to the same people year after year after. Neither side tires. How is that possible? Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      July 27, 2021 3:29 AM MDT