Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If toes were fingers and fingers were toes would life be easier or harder d'ya s'pose? Why?

If toes were fingers and fingers were toes would life be easier or harder d'ya s'pose? Why?

Posted - July 25, 2021

Responses

I cannot think of many pros
    to having toes for fringes and fingers for toes.
    Why, this simple little transpose
    Would cause a great many woes.

It’d be difficult to pluck a rose,
    To pick one’s nose 
    Or even put on pantyhose.
    But then again… who knows? 

July 25, 2021 5:19 PM MDT

((hugs)) once again for getting right in the spirit of the question and being willing to play any time any day any way! I guess if we were born with them we wouldn't know anything else right? It does seem to me to be awkward though. Toes are shorter stubbier than fingers. Bigger shoes just to accommodate the length of finger toes and wearing a ring on a toe finger? But we wouldn't know any different! Thank you for your poetic reply Shuhak and Happy Monday to thee and thine GUESS WHAT? RAIN IS PREDICTED FOR TODAY IN HEMET! How you doin' weatherwise in GV? :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 26, 2021 11:15 AM MDT
      July 26, 2021 2:16 AM MDT

Toes are just the right size to balance us when we walk.  Fingers are just the right size for us to grasp ans pick up things.  Can you imagine trying to feed yourself with your toes?

We have a 20-30% chance of sprinkles through early Tuesday.  We have a lot of clouds which are helping to reduce the heat, but they make it muggy.  Then again, the higher humidity helps firefighters gto et a better handle on the fires.
      July 26, 2021 11:21 AM MDT

Errr... at least we'd still be able to do sums by counting on our digits!

'Tis odd thinking of those
    Things that were fingers
    But are now toes.
    And the thought still lingers
    That if put t'other way
    It certainly ought-a
    Help anyone play
    A fugue or toccata. This post was edited by Durdle at July 28, 2021 2:16 AM MDT
      July 26, 2021 3:50 PM MDT

How divinely fine m'dear. YOU ARE A POET TOO like Shuhak! A nice surprise for me personally and anyone else who will read your post. Thank you for getting into the spirit of things. We chat seriously mostly but sometimes ya gotta just play! Do you play any instrument Durdle? I took piano lessons for 4 years as a child but that's all. Well I also took wiolin lessons for about a month but it didn't end well!  :)
      July 28, 2021 2:19 AM MDT

Poet? Me? I don't think I'm likely to become Poet Laureate! :-)

I have tried the piano, as I'd made a very basic electronic "organ" from instructions in one of Dad's magazines, but didn't get anywhere.  A friend gave me the bare woodwork for an old electric guitar and I rebuilt that, but didn't learn to play it. I didn't have an ear for pitch and didn't practice hard enough.

I did though take up the drums, and that was fun though it didn't lead to anything more than a small  group of us within a club we were in. We played for a couple of the club's Christmas parties, but that was all.

I did not have formal drum tuition but bought some primers, one written by Buddy Rich, from the local music shop, and ploughed doggedly through the basic exercises and simple music-reading. Playing a roll properly was the hardest one, then one day it sort of clicked. Rich's book was devoted to just the snare-drum, and after a chapter on music notation it went from the starting left-right-left-right taps to very abstruse patterns with names like "Triple Flam Paradiddle". I did not advance to those, and in any case they are only very rapid runs of quaver and semi-quaver beats whose sublteties, unlike trills on a piano, would be lost to any listener not a skilled drummer.

The guitarist from that small combo was very good and did follow his music more seriously, but very sadly died in a road accident when returning from a gig.
      July 28, 2021 2:54 PM MDT

Thank you for sharing your involvement with musical instruments Durdle. You know what jumps out at me? "Triple Flam Paradiddle". I think I just fell in love with it and I'm wondering how best to use it futurely? It just tickles me. Not a Paradiddle but a TRIPLE FLAM PARADIDDLE. Quaver and semi-quaver is new to me. Sounds like Quiver. I just consulted the dictionary and quaver includes quiver in the definition as well as tremulous. Oh my goodness! I just looked up PARADIDDLE! And FLAM!Oh this is too delicious! I'm going to ask a question and just see if anyone else knows about it!  Here goes.
      July 29, 2021 2:19 AM MDT