Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How dangerous is it to fall through ice into frigid water? How long can a body stay in frigid water before it is permanently damaged?

How dangerous is it to fall through ice into frigid water? How long can a body stay in frigid water before it is permanently damaged?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

• It depends on the person and their body type and health.  The greatest danger of falling through ice is drowning from the shock of the cold and your muscles tensing up. You'll likely drown in the water before the cold water does any damage.  Even 10 seconds in the water can cause harm if you remain wet in the cold.
      October 30, 2016 7:42 AM MDT

It sounds  VERY scary to  me Glis. Can the shock of the frigid water knock you out immediately so that you become unconscious? I remember once in Casco Bay, Maine years ago during the summer I purposely slipped into water that was in the mid-60 degree range and thought I was gonna freeze to death. I got out real fast. I expect water under ice must be in the 40's. I can't even almost imagine how painful that would be. Thank you for your helpful reply m'dear!  Not that I plan to walk on thin ice and experience it for myself any time soon you understand! :)
      October 31, 2016 5:33 AM MDT

• I ice fish so walking on ice is nothing to me.
      October 31, 2016 7:31 AM MDT