Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I know there are a few folks who are always seeking PERFECTION. I'm not one of them and it has never bothered me/ Are you a perfectionist?

I know there are a few folks who are always seeking PERFECTION. I'm not one of them and it has never bothered me/ Are you a perfectionist?

I've never sought it or worried about it! I've always tried my best to do my best but beyond that? No worries. Not once.

I think perfectionists beat themselves up a lot and always keep trying to achieve perfect.

I wonder what would happen if a perfectionist became PERFECT? Never made mistakes? Would would he/she strive for then if perfection were the ordinary everyday typical standard?

Posted - August 10, 2021

Responses

Yes.  And I walk around covered with welts and bruises from constantly beating myself up.  (I know, I know... strive for excellence, not perfection.)

It's impossible for a perfectionist to ever be perfect.  No matter how close to perfection they get, they will alway raise the bar a bit higher (it can be moe perfecter).  For example, a perfectionist could find the cure for cancer, but if it didn't cure all cancers then it was a failure.  The rows are never straight enough, the windows never clean enough, the house never dusted enough, the pictures hung straight enough, the words to write not elegant enough...     For a perfectionist, failing to achieve perfection means they're a failure.  A perfectionist aslo sees fault in others (why can't they be perfect).  This can drive a perfectionist insane.
      August 10, 2021 5:18 PM MDT

I have to argue with you and disagree with you m'dear. From an outsider's point of view because I'm not you.

But with regard to finding a cure for one type of cancer. If my cancer is that type and your cure saves my life are you saying that was invalid because others with different types of cancer are not saved? You can't be serious (John McEnroe used to say that all the time). YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS! Is my survival due to your cure CHOPPED LIVER? No disrespect to chopped liver. I happen to love the stuff. Anything anyone does at any time that is LIFE SAVING is of GREAT VALUE. Now moving along. You NOTICE EVERYTHING and the price you pay is being dissatisfied. I think I told you about a long-time friend who is also a perfectionist. What he notices first always is THE FLAW. In other words he will go into a beautiful rose garden and focus on the weeds. I don't know why but there it is. He is a fine person but sometimes ANNOYING. My son and then daughter-in-law redid their bathroom long long ago. They worked very hard and it included retiling. The first thing he did when they showed it to him was point out where one tile wasn't set correctly! THE FIRST THING! Now me? I wouldn't notice it so I'd oooh and ahhhh and think it was gorgeous. OKAY. Anyway I guess I told you off right? SET YOU STRAIGHT? No? I didn't. OY. Thank you for your reply.  I tried! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 11, 2021 1:08 PM MDT
      August 11, 2021 3:08 AM MDT

I respect your right to disagree, however, what I said is true.  Doctors, psychologist, and psychiatrists all agree.  I may have took it to the OCD level, as that's where I am.

Ok, my cancer analogy was simply meant to show that even if they performed some glorious feat, they would still find it not "perfect" enough.

There are quite a few perfectionists in the world.  Not all of them are perfectionists to the same degree. 

We all tend to focus on the not-so-perfect aspects of things around us.  To others it may be less than a minor blemish, but to us they're glaring "flaws".  When someone comes over to visit unexpectedly, how often do we tell them to "ignore things" - dust, unwashed dishes in the sink, an unmade bed, and such.  It could be to them  that our house looks immaculate (in comparison to than theirs), yet to us it's flawed.  Now, most people who come to visit don't mind these things, as they have them too.  Yet the first thing we do is draw their attention to the "flaws" (dust, dishes in the sink, our unmade bed). 

(example) "How do you like how we remodeled our bathroom?  Please ignore that big dent in the counter.  Thats where "someone" dropped a paint can."   We may have never seen that teeny tiny blemish had they not drawn our attention to it.   All we saw was a gorgeous remodel job

August 11, 2021 1:45 PM MDT

You know what popped out at me? The thing about folks dropping by "unexpectedly". I don't like such folks. i am deadly serious. I prefer those who phone. It may be massively INCONVENIENT to have a drop by person invade your space if you are otherwise occupied. I don't care who it is. I don't. If it is a loved one..friend..relative. THEY KNOW BETTER. It shows respect for my time. Some enjoy unexpected drop bys. I'm not one of them. OK. I got that off my chest. I would no more just "drop by" than I would shoot someone dead for looking at me crossways. I think it's rude and disrespectul. OK. Enough of that. Some things are unsharable and being a perfectionist is clearly one of them. Also if you keep sweating things you do and say you are making everything about YOU aren't you? I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful here Shuhak. So apologies if you feel attacked. I don't mean it like that. Moving on. I wonder what the next bombshell will be vis a vis the corruption of our government during the reign of the monster? I wonder if there will ever be an END or BOTTOM? Thank you for your reply m'dear. I hope I didn't cross the line. I do sometimes. I hope this isn't one of them. :( This post was edited by RosieG at August 12, 2021 1:30 PM MDT
      August 12, 2021 2:26 AM MDT

I hate it too.

Yes, I am focusing on "me".  It's hard not to, with my being shy and feeling uncomfortable around people   I'm trying to work on that.
      August 12, 2021 1:35 PM MDT

Of course here we have the pot calling the kettle black except not exactly precisely for the same reasons. Locked into my within ever since I can remember I broke out here in anonymity behind a screen where I'm SAFE. I'm sovereign here. AUTONOMOUS and untouchable. Nothing face to face ever happens here. Always at ARM'S LENGTH and out of touch. When I encounter the unlikables I learn to IGNORE THEM ENTIRELY. When I encounter folks I like I stick around. But no one tells me what to ask how long to stay how to ask or why I ask. That's for me alone. No one here is the boss of me. Well standards and practices can take me offline to punish me when I offend a delicate flower..sheesh..what WIMPS they are running to mummy dearest to fink. "OUT THERE"? Too scary. Sadly the older I get the scarier OUT THERE gets. Bazillions of folks get off on scary. Not me. Not my cuppa tea. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. Do you like to be safe too as I do? :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 14, 2021 2:51 AM MDT
      August 13, 2021 3:29 AM MDT

I've always liked being safe and playing it safe. 
      August 13, 2021 7:36 PM MDT

I often wonder about those hot dawgs who dabble with EXTREME sports. Who was that guys who'd jump dozens of trucks on his motorcycle? He was always breaking something but he kept doing it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 14, 2021 2:53 AM MDT

Evel Knievel.
      August 14, 2021 11:59 AM MDT

Bless you Shuhak. Right. I just couldn't call up the name. Are there any like him now? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 16, 2021 5:07 AM MDT

I assume there are, but I don't know of any.  That kind of thing  isn't interesting to me.  
      August 16, 2021 1:57 PM MDT

Interesting response. I don't share it but so what? I always wonder if the daredevils are born with a death wish. Their only claim to fame is always daring death to take them. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 17, 2021 4:33 AM MDT

Ask Snata Claws!
      August 10, 2021 5:24 PM MDT