Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are there tests you have to pass in BOOT CAMP? Take shooting. Do you target a bullseye or practice on real live people (with blanks)?

Are there tests you have to pass in BOOT CAMP? Take shooting. Do you target a bullseye or practice on real live people (with blanks)?

If you can't pass the gun the gun test do you fail boot camp? How long does boot camp last?
Like potential lawyers who fail the test can you keep taking it repeatedly until you pass?

Posted - August 16, 2021

Responses

I'm not sure about the other services ... but "Every Marine a Rifleman" holds true.  It doesn't matter what your job is in the Marines, you are expected to be proficient with your rifle.  That is why the Marines don't have their own medics (they use Navy).  Medics are not allowed to carry rifles.

I believe all services require you to pass basic physical and mental exams, prior to acceptance to boot camp.

If you watch the WW2 movies, produced with the cooperation of the armed forces, the boot camp training scenes are pretty accurate for the times.
      August 16, 2021 2:32 PM MDT

Thank you for your very helpful and informative reply Walt. My dad was a Marine in WW1. Did two tours. I never once asked him any questions. I kick myself daily for all the questions I could have asked him and my mom and my grandparents and never did. I guess I was not that interested or curious back in the day. I regret that a lot. :(
      August 17, 2021 3:47 AM MDT

There are numerous tests in the Navy, but not for weaponry.
      August 16, 2021 2:49 PM MDT

Sailors never have hand-to-hand combat then so they don't have to know how to handle a gun? Sailors handle the sea. Air force handles the air. Soldiers handle the land. Coastguard handles the coasts. Marines are the strongarm and clear the way for the soldiers? How does that work? My did did two tours in WW 1. Marine. I never asked him anything about it. Too soon old, too late schamrt. Me. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine. :)
      August 17, 2021 3:45 AM MDT

Some sailors see combat. The Navy Seals, for instance. And the river-boats in Vietnam were manned by sailors.
      August 17, 2021 7:56 AM MDT