Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How do YOU react when you are "talked down to"? Something you adore and keep going back for more?

How do YOU react when you are "talked down to"? Something you adore and keep going back for more?

Posted - August 18, 2021

Responses

Most of the time, I just walk away and try not to be in that person's presence again.  When that is not possible, I will try to ignore what/how they say it and if it's someone that doesn't affect my life in any way at all, I will tell them what I think of them.  
      August 19, 2021 9:07 AM MDT

It's easy to ignore on the internet. But in real life not so much although with COVID we hardly ever get in the way of anyone so inclined! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 21, 2021 11:55 AM MDT

That's true to the extent that you may have to work from home for someone who is snide and "talks" down to you.  Not my fantastic boss, but someone else I have been working with has a tendency to take a tone with me and I had to set him straight.  He is not accustomed to anyone pushing back, so he's "punishing" me by having as little as possible to do with me. :):):)
      August 21, 2021 12:19 PM MDT

You INTIMIDATE him sweetie. He doesn't know how to deal with you so he stays away! So you don't get intimidated but well you intimidate just by being your own sweet true HONEST self. Tons of folks cannot handle it. So you will always win that battle. ALWAYS! Funny just yesterday we talked about intimidation didn't we? This post was edited by RosieG at August 21, 2021 12:27 PM MDT
      August 21, 2021 12:21 PM MDT

I agree - he doesn't want a confrontation with me because he knows he won't win. If you talk to a lot of people in my office who don't know me well, they will say I can be intimidating.  I don't mean to be, but by the same token, I don't give the impression that I'm a pushover.
      August 21, 2021 12:25 PM MDT

Lots of folks lack confidence and they need the approbation of others while those who know their own minds and are confident have no worries in that respect. Being an independent thinker is really the only difference. A VERY BIG STARK difference from those who rely on the opinions of others and try to pretzelize themselves to accommodate others. We don't. "Take us as we are or not. Your choice." I don't think that is remotely hostile or belligerent. It's just the way it is but sadly so many people NEED others to approve of them so they are stuck. We aren't. Well so far so good! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 21, 2021 12:29 PM MDT

I agree.  Also, I think in my case, I've reached the point where I'm just working to help my great boss, so I take the position that since I'm not financially dependent on my job ay longer, I am able to be more outspoken with others.
      August 21, 2021 12:32 PM MDT

Always a good thing! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 21, 2021 12:32 PM MDT