Active Now

DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How would you like to have a job as a HURRICANE HUNTER with NOAA? You fly through hurricanes to gather info for weather forecasters. EXOTIC?

How would you like to have a job as a HURRICANE HUNTER with NOAA? You fly through hurricanes to gather info for weather forecasters. EXOTIC?

National
Oceanic
and
Atmospheric
Administration

I don't know what the job pays but I bet you get an E ticket ride flying through some of them. It isn't one person on board...it's more than few. All tracking and gathering present time information to feed to those who can apprise the public of what to do.

Posted - August 22, 2021

Responses

I do it!  I'd even be a stormchaser!  Not for the thrill, but because I love weather.  God's creation is awe inspiring!  

As for hurricane hunter pay - "It depends on the individual's rank and years of experience, and whether or not he or she is a full-time Hurricane Hunter (an Air Reserve Technician, or ART) or a regular reservist. ART salaries are anywhere from $30,000 to $70,000 per year, whereas a reservist will make between $8,000 and $15,000 in a typical year."

A hurricane hunter crew consists of 18-20 persons.
      August 22, 2021 1:02 PM MDT

Well we already know you are WAY BRAVER than I am Shuhak! I saw such a person being interviewed and he said there are about a dozen or more people on board each flight(which tracks with what you report) documenting different things and then that info goes to meteorologists to get to the people so we know what to expect. It does provide a great service for sure. So I'd just wave to you and wait for that info to be released. I'm an earthling through and through! Thank you for your reply and the info! :)
      August 23, 2021 1:41 AM MDT

I have seen, on TV, a video made from an aircraft flown through a hurricane.

This was a proper research flight, not some "storm-chasing" stunt.

It would seem not as bad as you might think because a hurricane is essentially a very intense depression, and at sufficient altitude to avoid ground effects the winds are relatively steady, not something a large, powerful plane flown by experienced pilots cannot handle.

It was certainly impressive though. When the aeroplane emerged into the "eye" of the storm still over the sea, we were looking down through a cylinder of clear air, at the very rough, confused seas far below.   Then it was back into the fog, this time with the wind from the opposite side.

August 22, 2021 4:37 PM MDT

I saw an interview with one such person yesterday Durdle. He said the stronger the hurricane the smoother the ride. That a CAT 1 could be a lot bumpier ride through it than a CAT 4 for example. he said there are about a dozen people on board each with a different job of documenting what is going on and that info is transmitted to meteorologists on the ground to get out to the people so they know what to expect. So you saw a documentary on it? Thank you for sharing that info. I appreciate it! Still I would not offhand want to ride along with them. Would YOU?
      August 23, 2021 1:14 AM MDT