Active Now

DannyPetti
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is being brief, terse a blessing or a curse? Why?

Is being brief, terse a blessing or a curse? Why?

Posted - August 22, 2021

Responses

A blessing.  The older I get, the less patience I have for uber-wordiness.  It's one of the things that I don't like about The New York Times.  Too many articles go so far back in the background that I'm pretty sure some Neanderthal wrote it from personal experience.  Bottom-line it for me.  
      August 22, 2021 10:54 AM MDT

Normally I'd be like that. I say let the headline give you that. BUT THEN going into detail helps to understand how you got to that headline bottom line. Some replies I get are very lengthy but filled to overflowing with information I find useful helpful and I'm always grateful for those who are willing to invest the time to educate me. I like both worlds. If forced to choose I go with lengthy. Smarta** is always delivered briefly. The "long-winded" rarely ever ever ever are smarta**. Just my experience L. Yours may be different! :) The more info I get the more I learn and the more I learn the happier I am. This post was edited by RosieG at August 23, 2021 5:53 AM MDT
      August 23, 2021 2:48 AM MDT

Understood.  I usually feel that if the topic interests me, I will do my own research rather than have someone spend a long time explaining it to me. :)
      August 23, 2021 5:54 AM MDT

I do that a lot. I get intrigued by something and then GOOGLE it. I LOVE GOOGLE. IT LOVES ME AND EVERYONE ELSE! What did we do without it? Schlep to the library at whatever hours they were open in all kinds of weather! Then if the books you needed were already checked out they'd put you on a first-come first-served waiting list. AND YOU WAITED.  Progress? I'll say! Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 23, 2021 7:48 AM MDT

Perhaps we weren't as inquisitive before Google because it was too difficult to get the answers. :)
      August 23, 2021 8:23 AM MDT

Could be. I was always curious about things but never remotely close to me today. WHO KNEW?

Well I always loved school and always loved learning and after the second week of summer vacation I crossed the days off the calendar counting the day to when school would open again. Not the typical kid. I expect but that's the truth. :)
      August 23, 2021 8:39 AM MDT

I don't recall being that curious when I was a kid.  I liked school when it was a subject in which I was interested, but everything else was a chore.  I didn't get bored during the summer until it was two weeks before school started.  :)
      August 23, 2021 9:08 AM MDT

I always was but not nearly as much as now. It's funny L but I "FEEL" time speeding up and so I feel pressed to rev up accelerate and keep up. If I had infinite time I might be less obsessed with question asking. Of course there is no way to know. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 24, 2021 6:24 AM MDT

Time seems to be flying for me, too.  :)
      August 24, 2021 6:26 AM MDT

It goes faster as you get older sweetie. Remember me telling you that after I'm gone. It goes faster as you get older. On another thread I brought that up as a reason why I am asking more and more and more and more questions as time goes by. AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 24, 2021 6:28 AM MDT

My mom told me that, too a long while back.  :)
      August 24, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

You know what I remember my mom telling me? When she was about 40 she said she felt like 16-year-old inside! I thought "how odd" and I still think that. I wouldn't be 16 again for a bazillion bucks. BUT I am 83 and don't feel that old most of the time. I think that's a blessing and I don't know why I've been so blessed. But I will take it! Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 24, 2021 6:32 AM MDT
      August 24, 2021 6:31 AM MDT

I wouldn't go back to being a teenager again either.  In fact, I wouldn't want to be younger than 40 again.  That was the age when I realized I was truly my own person, that I didn't have to do things I didn't want to do, that I could steer my own life without having to worry about what anyone thought.  I will be 76 next month and I don't feel that old either.
      August 24, 2021 6:33 AM MDT

For me my awakening didn't come until I was 50. That is when I completely stopped trying to please my mother. She was a 100% person. You did right 99% of the time and it was that 1% screwups she focused on. Needless to say I should have opted out decades before but I finally did. I didn't have to meet any quotas or percentages to please my dad. So that was a very good thing. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 24, 2021 6:38 AM MDT

My dad was like that.
      August 24, 2021 10:07 AM MDT

I wonder how prevalent that is? I wonder why it is? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 24, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

I'm sure it had something to do with his childhood.
      August 24, 2021 5:37 PM MDT

Daughters seem to have less trouble pleasing their dads than their moms. Maybe sons have less trouble pleasing their moms than their dads. Mebbe? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 25, 2021 2:09 AM MDT