Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever wonder why "they" dye cheese orange or yellow?

Ever wonder why "they" dye cheese orange or yellow?

To hide low-quality cheese from which the cream from the milk used is extracted for other use which leaves plain white milk. To hide it...COVER IT UP...they dye it.

Now that you know are you still gonna eat it or switch to undyed cheeses?

Posted - August 23, 2021

Responses

I'm sure that practice was started before there were any or few quality standards. I guess the still 'dye' it because people got used to it. The dye used is annatto, which are the seeds of the bixa tree. They are ground and used as a dye in many foods.
      August 23, 2021 12:35 PM MDT

That's how it started in the 17th century.  After people because used to the deception, they assumed all cheese (of that variety) was orange.  Therefore they wouldn't but an "off color" cheese.  The same is true of butter.  If you've ever made your own butter, you know that it's not always nice and yellow like in the stores (color really depends on what the cows were fed).

Even chicken eggs aren't always nice and white (or brown) as in the store.  Their color depends on the type of hen and what it's been fed.  Would you buy a greenish colored egg?  Of course not!  But if you raise chickens, you know that the shell color doesn't always reflect whether the egg is good or bad.  (Hmmm... just like a human's skin color)

This post was edited by Shuhak at August 24, 2021 12:07 PM MDT
      August 23, 2021 12:53 PM MDT

Thank you for your helpful reply Shuhak. So did you ever make butter "from scratch"? If so how does it taste if better than store bought? I remember many decades ago when I was a kid margarine came in large plastic pouch...all white..but it had a capsule of coloring that kneading would break and then you massaged it till it became yellow. I am not and never been a fan of margarine. I'm a butter gal through and through. There is no substitute for ti flavorwise and naturewise. :)
      August 24, 2021 4:56 AM MDT

Yes, I've made butter from "scratch" (hard work).  I thought it tasted more "rich".  Much like the taste of a store-bought tomato versus a home-grown tomato, homemade butter is so different from what's in the store.
      August 24, 2021 12:07 PM MDT

Oh lordy but I surely do get that comparison. THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO HOME-GROWN TOMATOES PICKED FRESH FROM THE GARDEN and store bought. I don't care if its a high falutin super expensive snooty store like whole foods and costs an arm and a leg and they advertise "HEIRLOOM TOMATOES" at a price we used to pay for filet mignon back in the day. Fresh picked from your garden? NOTHING can beat that at any price. So homemade butter is kinda sorta EXACTLY like that? I tasted fresh tomatoes from the garden. I have never tasted home made butter. How sad is that? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 24, 2021 12:25 PM MDT
      August 24, 2021 12:24 PM MDT