Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Sciencewise how far is China ahead of the US? Why do I ask?

Sciencewise how far is China ahead of the US? Why do I ask?

They are working on developing an ULTRA LARGE spacecraft mega ship that  is MILES LONG. It will have to be assembled in space of course due to its size and weight.

So what's the USA got on deck comparable to that?

Posted - August 25, 2021

Responses

We have the technology ... but not the will.

It took a lot of international effort to build the International Space Station ... and maintain it.
    Something "miles long"?  That will require a ton of work just to protect it from all the debris orbiting the Earth ... not to mention all the meteors.
    They would be better off building something on the Moon, unless they plan to send it somewhere outside the solar system.
    (inside the solar system would be better served by a smaller ship)
      August 25, 2021 7:33 AM MDT

Well it caught my eye with the size of it. Then it could not be built on earth because it would be too heavy to "lift off". So they will ship the parts incrementally to a place "out there" where then can assemble. How doable it is I have no idea! Thank you for your reply Walt! :
      August 25, 2021 8:45 AM MDT

It's how the International Space Station was built.
    In theory, it would be less expensive to mine the asteroid field and build it.
      August 25, 2021 9:19 AM MDT

Oh gosh Walt! Of course it would have to be. Imagine building something in space? It boggles the mind! Thank you for your reply and the reminder that it would not be the first time something was built "up there"! :) If you could wouldja visit the ISS? Just for a day or two?
      August 25, 2021 9:24 AM MDT

I dunno.
    I read they have a problem with mold, so bad that it covers some walls.
    It makes sense, because you can't use spray cleaners (well) in zero gravity.
      August 25, 2021 9:40 AM MDT

Mold? Huh. So it follows us everywhere? They could use a liquid they appy with a cloth rather than a spray then I guess. Thank you for your reply Walt.

Any medical care workers you know who refused to get the vaccine? That so boggles my mind. Why would such folks work in such jobs if they don't even believe in it themselves? They give shots by rote but have no belief in them? Weird. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 26, 2021 3:02 AM MDT
      August 25, 2021 9:49 AM MDT

I don't know about the direct patient care ... but a high percentage of our office workers refused the vaccine.
    Some people even quit over the government requirement that they get the vaccine or get tested every week.
      August 25, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

That m'dear shocks the HE** outta me. Did it/does it shock you too? It's like working in a health spa weighing 400lbs or working in a "quit smoking/drinking" clinic while you smoke 3 packs a day and get skunk drunk every night. It just doesn't compute. Thank you for your informative reply! :)
      August 26, 2021 3:04 AM MDT

Science-wise, they are only as good as what they can steal from others. I suspect China is building military launch platforms.
      August 25, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

We know they are working on railguns.

I believe they are planning on placing them along their coastlines and islands to cover the China Sea - which they believe is their territory.

Since they've placed a rover on the moon ... they're probably looking at placing railguns there, as well.
    It's against international law, but who cares?  It would make it virtually impossible to defend against or attack the installation.
      August 25, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

The USA and China are probably evenly-matched in science and engineering; but working in different directions with the Chinese maybe nowadays much more military. They also have a huge reserve of civil-engineering skills, needed for their massive projects like the Three Gorges scheme and "Belt & Road" initiative.

China is also perhaps the world "leader" in the dark arts of electronic surveillance, with the Israelis not far behind.

August 25, 2021 3:03 PM MDT

Do they have the material resources?
      August 25, 2021 3:20 PM MDT

A good question....

They probably do have a lot of natural resources in China itself and in Tibet, but they've also taken a sizeable stake in Khazakstan's oil and gas, probably have their eyes on whatever lies in Aghanistan, and has a strong grip on many other countries' resources and industries.

It even owns a chunk of what's left of Britain's steel industry, and ironically, a British builder of that symbol of the very wealthy, the luxury "yacht".
      August 26, 2021 3:54 PM MDT