Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Alien life could thrive on hycean exoplanets." HYCEAN is a new word to me.You too? Okay. If you don't know keep reading. If you do?

"Alien life could thrive on hycean exoplanets." HYCEAN is a new word to me.You too? Okay. If you don't know keep reading. If you do?

Hycean exoplanets are found in the Milkyway and are 2.5 times larger than earth with vast oceans that lie beneath a HYDROGEN-RICH atmosphere. They could host microbial life similar to those extremophiles on earth that surive in the harshest of environments.

I guess life of any size or form is exciting. Not sure how we would communicate with microbes but well who knows?

What good is other life if you cannot communicate in some way? It doesn't necessarily have to be a LANGUAGE but microscopic life does not lend itself to anything like that does it?

I'm not there yet...there being the purpose of it. Are you?

Posted - August 26, 2021

Responses

It's the fascination of wondering opr eventually knowing of life elsewhere that is the draw. No-one is expecting to communicate with it, except in science-fiction, but the essential point is knowing if life does exist on the other planets. Even if microbes.

I don't like them, or the journalists perhaps, keep calling any such life "alien". The word means "from foreign places" but those organisms that might be on other planets are in their own homes! They'd only be "alien" to us if somehow brought to Earth.
      August 26, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

Well my dear you are a "FOREIGNER" to me. Does that insult you? How is that different from "alien"? I am a foreigner to you of course and perhaps even alien too. How would you rather refer to them? How do you think of them if they exist in fact? I agree that labels can be hurtful so we should affix them with care. Tell me a word you'd use instead. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Friday to thee and thine! :)
      August 27, 2021 2:28 AM MDT