Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why is it "Mother Nature" and "Father Time"? When a "natural" tragedy strikes why is it feminized?

Why is it "Mother Nature" and "Father Time"? When a "natural" tragedy strikes why is it feminized?

"MONSTER IDA LASHES LOUISIANA"

Why must we genderize anything? Why not just locationize it and let it go at that?

Locally we have the CHAPARRAL FIRE..13% contained...burning near Murrieta on the edge of the Cleveland National Forest

"Another fire broke out in the Cajon Pass on Sunday...."

Not the CAROLINE Pass or the Candy Pass or the Connie pass...the CAJON pass.

Posted - August 30, 2021

Responses

Doesn't Cajon mean "box" or "drawer"?  Cajon Pass was named because it looked like a box (as in "box canyon").  I believe the word "cajon" is considered a masculine noun in Spanish.

Remember, most of California belonged to Mexico LONG before the US came along.  Many places (especially in SoCal) still have Spanish names.  (San Diego = Saint Diego). Just like in Zorro (with Guy Williams).

Now I ASSUME they're referred to in the feminine because men (of old) saw women as sometimes being moody and irritable, while at other times they were sweet and loving (possibly due to their menstrual cycle).  It's possible that natural disasters were seen in the same way.  One moment nice and calm the next a turbulent disaster.   We may think of ourselves as "modern", but a lot of the language and phrases we use have their roots in the past.  (You don't even want to know tehorigions of many of our nursery rhymes).

It's the female who bears and cares for the young - new life which matures to do it again.  In nature we see animals being born, seeds sprouting from the soil each year, trees bearing fruit... therefore we call it, "Mother Nature" (notice that she's NEVER pictured as being old).  Men, on the other hand, just sit around and "do their thing".  Thus father time (old).

Uh=oh... you're getting fires now too?  I hope it isn't someone out setting them (we had that here).

August 30, 2021 4:47 PM MDT

Don't they alternate the "sex" of hurricanes? Or are these storms all female-named?
      September 8, 2021 4:10 PM MDT

Oddly enough, ships can be named for a man, but they still call them she.
      September 8, 2021 4:13 PM MDT

The next hurricane is called Larry.
      September 8, 2021 4:15 PM MDT