Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Everywhere we turn there are dangers/threats/harm. What is the SINGLE GREATEST THREAT to mankind today? Why?

Everywhere we turn there are dangers/threats/harm. What is the SINGLE GREATEST THREAT to mankind today? Why?

Posted - November 3, 2016

Responses

• Hillary Clinton .. she will not have anytime to run the country while under all kinds of ongoing investigations. I'd rather go with the no experience guy, than the one sitting in the back seat, while the car steers itself into oblivion. 

November 3, 2016 6:08 AM MDT

Condolences.
      November 3, 2016 7:55 AM MDT

Actually, there are two:
    1. Nuclear weapons.
    2. Climate Change. 

Both can destroy the planet. Climate change can destroy our species because it affects our food supply.
      November 3, 2016 7:22 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply La Marguerite de Monsieur Matisse and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      November 3, 2016 8:00 AM MDT

• Dale Gribble Qoutations - We'll Grow Oranges  In alaska
      November 3, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

Hello M:

Exactamundo!  I don't wanna sound redundant, but the TWO most dangerous things in the world are Trump with his finger on the button, and Trump saying climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese...

Plus, the most TERRIFYING thing in the world is the thought that we're close to ELECTING that low life scumbag.

excon
      November 3, 2016 7:27 AM MDT

You will note the nature of my questions today excon. You  understand quite well why. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :) I assume this is directed to me because it doesn't say it's to La Marguerite de Monsieur Matisse.  :) However who is M if not Marguerite? Another quandry! :(
      November 3, 2016 7:59 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Yeah, I pushed the wrong button.

excon
      November 3, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

Stuff happens! Did you hear about the anti-Hillary cabal of FBI agents in the New York FBI office who are responsible for the constant flow of email leaks? You can't make this stuff up.:(    SIGH.  Happy Friday excon! :)
      November 4, 2016 3:34 AM MDT

The human brain and its poor evolutionary fit for modern questions/problem.

Our brains evolved to deal with threats/problems which were dramatic ("The tiger is going to eat me!"), immediate ("The tiger is going to eat me RIGHT NOW!") , personified ("THAT tiger is going to eat me!"), and short-term ("If I can run away from that tiger, it won't eat me!").

None of those descriptions apply to the kinds of subtle gradual abstract long-term problems which imperil mankind in the modern world.

Psychologist Daniel Gilbert wrote an excellent Op-Ed piece for the LA Time describing the issue.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul/02/opinion/op-gilbert2
      November 3, 2016 8:43 AM MDT

Mahalo for your thoughtful reply OS and the link. A few more days and we shall learn which fate awaits. The lady or the tiger.  Happy Friday! :)
      November 4, 2016 3:36 AM MDT

I don't think either presidential candidate is the "tiger" (or, in a sense, they both are).

As Gilbert writes, "Yes, global warming is bad, but it doesn't make us feel nauseated or angry or disgraced, and thus we don't feel compelled to rail against it as we do against other momentous threats to our species, such as flag burning."

The real problems with the US government are systemic, institutional...and boring. It's much easier for people to get worked up the Clinton's allegedley having people "rubbed out" or The Donald's "Grab 'em by the p***y" remark than to think about the systemic institutional boring problems which deserve our attention.
      November 4, 2016 8:26 AM MDT

Over population.
      November 3, 2016 10:32 AM MDT

Really Spunky? I would not have thought of that at all. Thank you for your reply m'dear!  :)
      November 4, 2016 3:36 AM MDT