Discussion » Questions » Finance » Have you ever suffered from illusions of affluence?

Have you ever suffered from illusions of affluence?

For example, thinking you have more money than you actually have by using multiple credit cards. 

Posted - April 17, 2023

Responses

No, no illusions here. When I first became an adult (old enough to qualify for credit cards), I was fortunate enough to live in the era of "Dear Abby", "Ann Landers", and "Erma Bombek" (my favorite). I know that time and society have changed a lot, but these simple lessons can be applied to your individual economic program of today. The early lessons were:

• NEVER charge something that will be gone before you get the c.c. bill (with the exception of a party or dining out).
    • NEVER buy anything with credit unless you already have the money in the bank to cover it (with the exception of medical/dental bills).
    • ALWAYS pay the c.c. bill in full every month. If you've charged something more expensive (like a dental bill or a party), pay at least double the minimum payment.

I've followed these rules since day one and even surviving some really difficult financial time, I've never had a problem paying my credit cards. I hate to say it, but the "trick" is to discipline yourself. This post was edited by NYAD at April 17, 2023 12:55 PM MDT
      April 17, 2023 12:10 PM MDT

Very good rules.
      April 17, 2023 12:56 PM MDT

I would never do that. I already know my exact amount of money at hand and only use one credit card, which I only use to shop online.
      April 17, 2023 12:29 PM MDT

Admirable!
      April 17, 2023 12:57 PM MDT

No, I have always lived below my means. 
      April 17, 2023 8:07 PM MDT