Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Is anyone here following the news on the Standing Rock Protests? If so what is your opininion?

Is anyone here following the news on the Standing Rock Protests? If so what is your opininion?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/86356892/new-zealanders-playing-a-part-in-standing-rock-protests
Horse riders from the Bigfoot Riders, Dakota 38 Riders, Spirit Riders and the Bigfoot Youth Riders arrive at the Oceti ...

STEPHANIE KEITH/ REUTERS

Horse riders from the Bigfoot Riders, Dakota 38 Riders, Spirit Riders and the Bigfoot Youth Riders arrive at the Oceti Sakowin camp during a protest of the Dakota Access pipeline.

Posted - November 11, 2016

Responses

Wow.  At first I was all tingly thinking the Indians were rioting against Trump.  This is really interesting.  I have just seen it now with your post and I will say before anything that if these protesters get anywhere over big money,  I will not believe you.

They don't have a prayer.    I hope I am wrong.  I have good reason to think I am right. 
      November 11, 2016 9:16 PM MST

• It's highly unlikely that they have any chance of succeeding in preventing the oil pipeline, but they are succeeding in drawing attention to corporate mass-scale damage to the environment.
    The size of this protest is one of the biggest ever seen so far.
    Not one activist has been violent, but many have been brutally violated by police.
    How citizens react to the news will affect the careers and policies of politicians who control licenses and zoning.
    Every person, who signs their opinion on Avaaz or Change.org or who writes to the relevant newspapers, helps to make a difference.
    The local state government is arranging to borrow money (Reuters report) to bring in tanks and armaments against unarmed civilians.
    Greens from all over the world are travelling there to join the protest encampment. Others are raising and sending money, food and equipment. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 12, 2016 6:01 AM MST
      November 11, 2016 10:06 PM MST

This is a most worthy cause, Hartfire.  I do have access to a Center where we aid the needy.  I will try and bring this to their attention and see if there is interest on that front. 

This is so important.  But, unfortunately, there are so many of these dreadful causes that it is hard to focus sometimes.  I will certainly try and focus on doing my small part, and thank you for suggesting it.
      November 11, 2016 10:14 PM MST

• Why are people against rocks?
      November 11, 2016 9:29 PM MST

I think people who are against the rocks are trying to poison those who are for the rocks and would also like fresh air in the process of staying alive to appreciate the rocks and everything else the rocks represent, like a clean enough environment that the land and all that is good is not destroyed so big business can make a profit.  A huge profit, I'm sure they are salivating about as we speak.
      November 11, 2016 9:51 PM MST

• Try reading the article. )
      November 11, 2016 10:09 PM MST

• A little bit.
      November 12, 2016 6:02 AM MST

Hello H:

I think we should KEEP our word with the Indians.  Now, we wanna wipe out all vestiges of their existence..

excon
      November 12, 2016 6:08 AM MST