Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Difference in between Lonesome and Lonely?

Difference in between Lonesome and Lonely?

Hard for me to see a difference because English is not my native language....

Posted - November 17, 2016

Responses

Lonesome is in the moment.  Lonely is a general feeling about your life.e  That is how I use these two words.  I feel lonesome from time to time wishing I had someone around.  On the other hand I never feel lonely.  Even when I am alone I never feel lonely. 
      November 17, 2016 8:43 PM MST

• Thank you, Thriftymaid. Now I really got it......
      November 18, 2016 7:42 AM MST

• I am alone, but I'm not lonely. I have trouble getting some of my friends to understand that. 
      November 18, 2016 8:11 AM MST

There is no difference. Lonely is a form of the word.  You may want to use 'alone or lonely', not 'lonely or lonesome' when you ask. 

Alone is not lonesome. Alone is not lonely.  Alone means single.  I am alone.  If it is by choice, of course I am fine.  If it is not, I feel the same feelings a lonely person feels.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 24, 2017 8:59 AM MST
      November 18, 2016 8:13 AM MST

One can be not alone...but lonely...as I often am except for here. I enjoy being alone...but not lonely. What is you native tongue? This post was edited by Element 99 at November 19, 2017 8:18 PM MST
      November 19, 2017 7:29 PM MST

• I came to the United States in 1984 from Germany when I was 49. Tomorrow I will be 82. You might have learned that all by now having looked into my website,,,I also like to be alone, even though I love my husband...
      November 19, 2017 8:23 PM MST

Happy birthday.
      November 20, 2017 7:10 AM MST

• Thank you very much,  "99". It;s a beautiful day filled with sunshine. High will be 76 degr.F., so we can sit outside and enjoy our place and nature - and a glass of Wine.
      November 20, 2017 9:32 AM MST

I love sitting outside and watching nature and the world go by. Only when it is warm, though, when the birds and insects are active. I have predicted the last two winters by watching their behaviour. Nobody believes me, but I was right.
      November 20, 2017 10:52 AM MST

• We also have enough experience with activity of bugs. We have traveled the roads of the USA including Alaska and also the southern provinces of Canada. My experience is that mosquitos in Alaska and British Columbia are "bombers" of high weight and hungry for human blood. At one point we had to wear mash head gear to protect ourselves.
      November 23, 2017 2:07 PM MST